Observer

Has Spectrum suddenly decided not to honor Roku customers?

Last night I was asked to sign back in and thought no problem but when i did i got a message saying something about not authorized equipment? Then i went to my smartphone app and tried to watch tv on it but it only showed me a few channels and they were not what I wanted so today i came to the website and tried to watch tv on it but it gave me error messages and said to come back later. I have been with TWC for years with no problems now Spectrum takes over and suddenly we all have problems? Please clarify.

8 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Has Spectrum suddenly decided not to honor Roku customers?

What happens in this instance is your devices are no longer registering that you are on your home Wifi. The App requires, for the channels to be correct, that you must be on your home network. Mine also did the same thing tonight and is having issues. Resetting everything is the first step, your Modem/Router and Roku.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Observer

Okay let me try that but it doesnt make sense why it would not work on my phone and laptop and if its just an wifi issue then why get the message of Spectrum equipment? Give me about ten minutes and i will let you know if it worked.
Observer

It worked. Thank u

Newcomer

Thank you for you response. I have also been unable to conect through my spectrum app on my rokus or smart phones. I have been in to the spectrum location, 3 on-line chats, 2 telephone calls, and 1 tier 3 tech. All of this has been over the last 4 days. You are the first person who has had any clue how to resolve this issue and it took less than 10minutes to fix. The tier 3 tech told me this was a world wide problem and there was nothing they could do to fix it. Again, thank you for your help with this matter.

Spectrum Employee

Thank you for the praise,

And to clarify, while the Tier 3 tech may have been technically correct in it being a "global" issue, it's more than likely the update that was pushed out to the SpectrumTV service and everyone's collective devices just needed to be reset to properly re-establish their connections to the server.

From my observations today, it would seem to support this scenario.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Newcomer

I have been on the phone with various techs and have been moved up the line but no one has been able to solve my problem.  We just bought a Roku, have it all set up and are able to connect to other apps, but when trying to access the Spectrum app, it always gives the message "we are sorry but unable to process your request at this time, please try again later."  I have tried numerous times and been on the phone with Spectrum for hours.  We've reset everything as suggested, even deleting and reinstalling the app.  They tell me it is being sent to the engineers.  If I'm not going to be able to use it, just say so.  I think it's a ploy to make me keep the little digital boxes at $4.00 each for which I get VERY FEW channels.  TV is such a vast wasteland, I think I'll end up cancelling the whole thing and just buy an antenna so I don't have to deal with Spectrum and their high prices!!!!

Having an app that will only allow you to use your Roku only on your own network to be pretty useless in a lot of instances. What about when you're away from home. We have an RV at a seasonal site with DSL and the app won't function. Seems quite odd when Dish Network or Direct TV apps work away from home.
Sharer

pitman44 wrote:
Having an app that will only allow you to use your Roku only on your own network to be pretty useless in a lot of instances. What about when you're away from home. We have an RV at a seasonal site with DSL and the app won't function. Seems quite odd when Dish Network or Direct TV apps work away from home.

It's a function of their carriage deal with the various content owners.

If I am away from home, I cannot use the app on my Rokus.  However, I CAN use the Spectrum App on my iPod touch, but only to watch FX and QVC.

You will have better luck using the dedicated streaming channels on your Roku, such as FX Now, FOX Now, NBC Sports, etc.  There won't be an app for every channel in your service, but if you are a Spectrum Video and Internet customer, and they have an agreement with the content proivder for remote content, this will get you something.

You may be able to use an antenna for OTA while on the road...