Rookie

Do I need different TWC accounts for different homes?

I have three different homes in three different states all using TWC, all with cable boxes though that probably doesn't matter.  I just purchased a Roku 3 to try.  The only TWC account I have registered is to my home in South Carolina.  Should I assume that I have to open a separate TWC Residential account for my NY home to link the Roku to my cable box there?  

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Do I need different TWC accounts for different homes?

If it's already got cable, no

Rookie

My apologies, I don't understand the reply.  "If it's already got cable, no"....I'm assuming that is referring to the Roku, not the home?  The home has TWC and a cable box.  I do not know about a cable card and tuning adapter requirement....don't even know what that is.  Home is in Ellicottville, NY if that helps.

I appreciate the prompt help.

Expert

You can't have any premium or prefered channels without seperate accounts. That means there needs to be a twc modem and a cable box to link to at that location.

Itneeds a twc internet account and modem there and that's going to cost you more than the cable box you're already renting or a twc dvr

gcrandall13 wrote:

My apologies, I don't understand the reply.  "If it's already got cable, no"....I'm assuming that is referring to the Roku, not the home?  The home has TWC and a cable box.  I do not know about a cable card and tuning adapter requirement....don't even know what that is.  Home is in Ellicottville, NY if that helps.

I appreciate the prompt help.

I was thinking Tivo's that may or may not need Cablecards and TA's depending on what you pay for.

Woman Embarassed

Rookie

Thanks...that I understand.  I do have a TWC cable box and modem at that location, but I also have four additional TVs that I will outfit with Roku if it works on the first one I try.  Therefore, I will open a residential TWC on line account for each home I own as they are, as I suspected, specific to each location.

Expert

That is only necessary if you're going to do TWCTV channels....  Those need the linked account to a cable box so they get what you're paying for.

If it's going to do Netflix or Amazon, Those are seperate from TWC and only need an internet connection.

If it's going to do something like NBCsports.com, those require TWC ID's and probably seperate ones per location

Tivo's/ Cetons/ Media centers need TA's and CC's depending on services you pay for. Sorry I was thinking the wrong devices...Woman Embarassed

Rookie

Thanks very much.  No reason not to receive all the channels I am paying for at each home, so I will set up the separate online accounts for each home to get local IDs.

Last question, I'm almost positive I have to be at the home and on the home's wifi to set up its online TWC account, correct?  TWC accounts can't be set up remotely from my office, as an example.

Expert

Netflix and Amazon require their own subscription per box not per location as far as I know.

TWCTV requires a per location id not a per box subscription...

Rookie

OK, don't care about the Amazon and Netflix, so this is fine.  Question answered.

Rookie

I don't have any cable box.   And I can get channels that are digital on Roku Time Warner channel.

I did have to log in with my time warner account.    

Roku uses the Internet.   It doesn't need a cable box.

Dora