Highlighted
Valued Contributor

COZI TV aspect ratio with Roku player

On COZI TV (subchannel of ABC channel 5 in Cleveland), the picture on most programs will not fill the screen of my 19" flat screen TV, regardless of which zoom setting I try (my set offers four such settings). I say "most" programs because there is at least one (Charlie's Angels) that does fill my screen without the black bars at either side of the picture. Why is this, and is there any way I can get around it?

However, I can get the channel in full-screen if I watch it on cable (not through my Roku player), which leads me to believe the problem I have is due to the way the Roku processes the signal. Since Roku players are streaming video devices which have little or nothing to do with the cable, I am thinking my player is processing the COZI TV subchannel in my area as a standard-definition video stream; however, if this is the case, why are certain programs on that channel appearing on my TV as full-screen, while others have the black bars at either side of the image (pillarboxing)? I would think if the player is treating the stream as an SD one, every program on that stream would have the same pillarbox effect.

All other streams appear on my TV as full-screen, which is what puzzles me. COZI TV seems to be the only channel which shows pillarboxing on most programs. What puzzles me even more, however, is why I cannot seem to zoom the picture on that channel to full screen with my TV's zoom function, while the zoom works perfectly well on every other stream.

Thanks much for any and all replies.

Jeff (jhs19060)

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: COZI TV aspect ratio with Roku player

They just added those channels.... give them a break! Be glad they're even there!

There is no way of getting a 4:3 to fit a 16:9 without losing something or stretching it.

The .2x channels running the retro stuff are often messed up on air as well.

Be glad the Comcast merger fell thru... Looks like TWC is now upgrading here in NEO as well as I'm seeing a lot of Verizon and AT&T construction competition. Woman Wink..

Helper

Set Top boxes are quite powerful on up conversion and down conversion, and picking the right aspect ration. Roku, not so much, so yes, Letterboxing and side boxing was a clever idea. Idea is not new many theatre movies have been cut clipped or letter boxed for tv viewing in the past on SD sets(yes it wasn't called SD when the NTSC standard was set)

Valued Contributor

I found a workaround for my problem; I hope others with the same issue (some cable channels showing in pillarbox format rather than full screen) will find it useful as well. Go to "display type" in the Roku settings menu

and select 4:3 aspect ratio. This should correct the aspect ratio so the picture will fill the screen, as some, if not most, programs shown on COZI TV (and other retro TV channels) are streamed in 4:3 format; a TV set up for 16:9 aspect ratio will show the picture, but with pillars on either side of it. (Be careful if you watch this channel, or any channel streamed in 4:3 format, on a CRT TV, as the pillars can and often will burn the CRT phosphors if the picture remains on-screen for an extended length of time, although it usually takes a very long time for such screen burns to appear.)

Jeff (jhs19060)