Observer

Spectrum TV app uses battery power when not even active!

I just check my phone battery usage and found that Spectrum TV app uses 2% of my battery power.  I did not use or open the  App.  What is happening?

12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spectrum TV app uses battery power when not even active!

2% Battery power? I doubt, never seen a display that showed battery on an app

but... what kind of phone?

2% of your memory? probably

Observer

This happens on my Nexus 6P, my wife's Nexus 6P, and my Nexus 7 2013. When I check Battery usage all said that it uses 2% of power since last full charge. Some kind of spyware? I never use this App since the Timewarner switch over.
Expert

Turn your phone off for 6 hours, see if the battery still runs down. I doubt it has anything to do with aps that are off, bet you're running 4G cloud storage and that will consume a lot of battery power since it has to use the hi power 4G radio rather than a local wifi connection.

Make sure the phones are set tio use wifi over 4g when available. It saves a lot of airtime b2 and battery

Observer

I think my concern is more on why the App started when not activated by me.
Observer

Further detail:

The battery usage display is under  Android native,  Settings/Battery ...

Like one of my 6p shows 78% battery left,  usage since 6 hrs ago from full charge,

Android System 11%, Android OS 5%, Screen 1%, Spectrum TV 1%, Cell standby 1%.

What stands out is the Spectrum TV application!  Why it started in the first place when no one use/open it.  Its not in the openned applications display.

Expert

Well if it's on, turn it off.... Who knows what those percentages are really measuring?

There should be an indication of what the radio modules are using as they are what are killing your batteries, and i'd bet the display % is really it's backlight.

Observer

I sure can turn it off.  But not every time when I charge my battery and running on battery.

I charged my 6P 4 hrs ago and let it run down on battery.  Its now showing 73% left.  That does not bother me. 

However if I check the Battery usage details.  Spectrum TV ranked 4th with 2% usage.  Detail of the usage showed 8 minutes 5 seconds CPU usage total of 53mAh.

Even the Top Android System use only 6% with 27m 24s on CPU.  Google Services uses only 1% and 2m 46s on CPU.

What is Spectrum TV doing with 8 m 5 s on CPU while my phone is essentially idle.  Not good.

Expert

What I will guess is that it figures you used 1% of your battery since you last charged itwhen on the spectrum ap and then the rest of those percentages on the time you spent onm the other aps...  It's sort of both stupid but makes sense to some 3rd world software designer that doesn't think like you or me... and if you've ever used google translate well.....Woman Sad

Observer

Well, I dig some more....

At 8:17 pm, it shows Spectrum TV used 9m 26s CPU time.

At 8:25 pm, it shows Spectrum TV used 9m 44s CPU time.

So some routine in Spectrum TV program is active.