jsd
Rookie

FAIL - Does not support HDMI out from Android settop boxes

TWC TV app will not support HDMI output . WHY NOT!???

My Android settop box (Idroidnation i-box) supports HDMI 2.0 

Why can't the TWC TV app accept that HDMI output iis appropriate?

Plan to leave TWC soon since alternatives do not DELIBERATELY CREATE restrictions to their "Customers".

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: FAIL - Does not support HDMI out from Android settop boxes

It's supported, the problem is the HDCP and possibly CEC on pin 13

I'd try using an HDMI to DVI adaper and then a DVI to HDMI cable to create a pin 13 removed HDMI cable.

See if that works.

If not, there are some import displayport to HDMI adapters that strip off HDCP See if your TV nas a non CEC hdmi input, try it

Also there's some sets with lousy firmware, like RCA's and some Samsungs, that need an active HDMI source be connected before you plug in or power up the set.

You can thank Sony, Microsoft and the motion picture copyright holders for the HDCP nonsense, it hasn't prevented much if any content piracy and has totally screwed over home theater owners.

Also, see if it's a per channel thing. HDCP allows a copyright holder to ban playback on specific manufacturers tv's   Example, Warner bro's could make content only available on 37" and smaller vizio tv's, lol.

, No record, playback only once, etc.

It would be nice if TWC actually would admit to what's going on, my info is from home theater and pro video forums...

ps. and then there's 4k, lol

jsd
Rookie

Thanks for your thoughts.

I suspected that HDCP played a role. I tried various CEC settings on my TV (enabled, ARC-only, disabled) but it is the TWC App that FAILS. 

The Idroidnation i-box is used for Android apps like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Youtube, Kodi without any issues. I'm not willing to spend my time and money for the TWC App.

It's easier to just walk away from Time Warner.

Expert

If you don't have the TWC ap, it won't work.  There are compatability issues with some devices, the problem is the mfg's introduce new firmware and twc can never catch up, like Samsungsyearly updates.

In many cases it's the MFG's fault, they never tell the content/transport providers and once they do it's going to take months to get new software developed and tested.

As for the TWC AP,  That's where the account validation is located. Otherwise, non paying twc customers would get free cable.

jsd
Rookie

I have the TWC App installed and have successfully authenticated to the TWC App.

The TWC App FAILS because it deliberately prevents display to an HDMI port which is the only display output for this device.

Lame app, lousy response/support, better alternatives

Not worth my time to wait for TWC to get it right.

Rookie

The problem persists.  My AndroidTV set-top loads the Spectum app and authenticates, then complains about the external hdmi that drives my TV.  This is genuinely STUPID!

[ Edited ]

When I signed up with spectrum about 3 weeks ago they told me if I bought a media streaming device I could use the Spectrum TV app so I could return my bedroom receivers. Well I bought one and I can't use it because it doesn't support HDMI.  Any resolutions to this problem?

The new Spectrum TV app is available on the following platforms:

• Apple devices using iOS 8.0+
  • Devices using Android OS 4.0+
  • Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HDX (excluding 1st generation Kindle)
  • All Roku streaming devices (excluding 1st generation Roku)
  • Xbox One
  • Samsung Smart TV (2012-2016 models)