Rookie

Can't watch TV via app when connected to 5GHz network

I have an Android TV box that I have been using for SpectrumTV streaming.
The quality has been poor as seems to be most people's experience when using the Android app. It worked though. I figured I'd try connecting to my 5GHz network to see if quality improved at all and received a message stating to disconnect my HDMI cable to watch as mirroring is not allowed.
It then said to make sure I was connected to my Spectrum internet connection (which I am).
I can't think of any reason why I would be able to watch using a 2.4GHz network and not 5GHz.
6 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Can't watch TV via app when connected to 5GHz network

@GorillaP

The Spectrum TV App is not supported on Android TV.  Only Samsung Smart TV's support the app.   Otherwise, you would need to use a supported device, such as Roku.  I've included a link to supported devices that you might find helpful.  

Rookie

This isn't the "Android TV" OS, but standard android. It's also in the Google Play store, indicating it's meant for Android devices. Mine happens to be using a very common higher tier AMLogic S912 chipset.
This app works for Android devices but there are massive bugs, not the least of which is the poor quality of video.
What's happening is that if you use any different SSID, it won't work until you clear the apps cache.
I can use wifi24 all day, but if I connect to Wifi50 it stops working.
Now if I clear app cache and connect to Wifi50, it works fine, but if I switch to Wifi24, it stops working.

Saying it's only compatible with a few specific proprietary devices isn't stated anywhere in the advertising, let along when the sales people are trying to talk you into buying the service on the phone, neither is the anti-root stance being taken.
Overall very disappointing so far and not a good attempt at retaining TV customers in it's current form.
Highlighted
Helper

@GorillaP wrote:

Saying it's only compatible with a few specific proprietary devices isn't stated anywhere in the advertising, let along when the sales people are trying to talk you into buying the service on the phone, neither is the anti-root stance being taken.
Overall very disappointing so far and not a good attempt at retaining TV customers in it's current form.

Actually it is...

Spectrum TV Support Devices.jpg

Established Sharer

Try connecting your Android TV box to the router directly, using a CAT-5e ethernet cable, if that is possible. The hard-wired step completely bypasses the issue of the WiFi SSID changing from band to band, and also avoids using any potentially incompatible WiFi adapter formats, such as the older ABG vs newest AC Wave2.  

I think you're going to find that the issue is in your router or ATV disallowing the connection, not in the Spectrum app itself.  I see at least two possibilities there: 

1)  Your Android TV box's OS may not support roaming between WiFi bands without establishing a new connection,  AND

2)  You may have created invalid SSIDs for your WiFi device.  Starting from your chosen WiFi as the basic name, the industry default SSID naming convention would be WiFi on 2.4 GHz and WiFi-5G on the 5 Ghz channels. 

The device-specific version of Android OS embedded in your unit may require that you comply with the expected naming conventions. 

Rookie

Thank you for being helpful karlbeckman.

I have an Asus AC68U (that used to be a T-Mobile router) with Merlin firmware.
I'm also using a Beelink GT1 with AOSP 7.1 ported firmware. Everything else works great on this box except this app. I'm using SlingTV and it's perfect. I have an excellent connection as well. 10ms latency and >100MBPS
Your suggestions got me thinking about ways to stabilize the connection.
My device doesn't jump between SSID's unless I do it manually as it is a stationary set top box. I have it locked to the 5GHz AC connection "Asus-Home-50".
I adjusted a few settings and removed the custom DNS settings (Cloudflare) so they will default to Spectrums DNS server.
I also took the channel selection off of "Automatic" and locked them into their current respective channels.
Rookie

Since locking the WiFi to a single channel and allowing DNS to default to Spectrum, everything is working fine.
The video quality is still very poor but the connections have stopped for now.
When I get a chance, I can try narrowing things down to see which of those is the problem.