Android TV (2015 Sony Bravia)

Is the time warner app going to get added to Android TV? Now that Sony TVs are using Android TV the demand for having the app on Android TV is much higher. I bought two 4K Sony TVs this fall. I'd love to be able to use the TW app on my new TVs.
11 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: Android TV (2015 Sony Bravia)

At this time we do not have any information on this to share with you. We do thank you for sharing your interest in this! We will be passing along your feedback about this to our developers.

Hope you have a happy healthy New Year!

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Rookie

You can use the TWC TV app now without waiting for the TWC Developers to incorporate the small and easy changes required to the application to make it android TV compatible if you have an android tablet or phone.

On the android TV using play store install the HAL Launcher and install it on your android tablet/phone the same way. run the app on the android TV then start it on the phone/tablet. use the apk transfer option in HAL on your phone to connect to your Sony TV, Then select the TWC TV app on the pick list and click the transfer button. Your TV will prompt you to OK the install. Follow the prompts.. and it will install successfully. You will not see an icon on the Android TV home page. But you will see the icon in HAL launcher and will be able to run it.

SInce the app was designed for a touch screen device only, It is recommended to plug in a wireless mouse into the tv's USB port and you will be able to use it once you enter the username and password at the startup screen. the tv remote won't work the TWC menus correctly.

I patched my own installer for the TWC app to include the icon on the android TV desktop and force the app to run in landscape mode to cut out the need for HAL but only TW can distribute a true version for Android TV that would allow for the arrow keys, back and OK button to control the app..

It seems like a lot of work but once installed, Google play store will keep it updated and for many like me with Android TV devices in their home, You can also now run and use amazon free apps and Prime video services currently blocked as well as any handheld android application Once you have installed HAL.

Which is how I discovered this trick.

Time Warner will not likely support this setup so use at your own risk. (No support)

It's been working for me thru several updates to the TWC app.

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

Great write-up! I too pay over $200 a month (ridiculous!!!) and still no TWC TV update for my Android Shield TV. Makes me consider dropping TWC altogether.

In any case, your workaround does not work on the Shield TV. The app launches as expected, but the dreaded HDMI warning appears when attempting to watch video.

Also, attempting to play videos via Amazon Prime fails. Though I will soon try this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/development/amazon-prime-video-demand-android-tv-t3278778

Rookie

Nice Article, I'm on XDA often but usually for the Nexus player stuff only I'll have to check in on the other Android TV variants to see what other goodies folks have been working on. Will try this out on my nexus. I was sorry to hear Shield TV box reported the display as HDMI. The Nexus player works and one of my china boxes, A Beelink S82 works with the TWC app although it's a kit kat build 4.4.2.. Not a real ATV..  

If you didn't look yet, I started a thread on http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Other-CableCARD-Devices/Using-the-HDHomerun-Prime-with-Android-... for further discussion of the HDHomerun on android. 

I wanted to upload a screen shot of my modified TWC app with Leanback launcher Icon but am finding it hard to get a screen capture. Guess I'll use the cellphone...

Post over there if you can. What Geographic area are you in? I'm in SoCal? May want to compare service area type info..

How did you force the TWC app to be viewed in landscape mode?

MrJinx;
How did you force the TWC app to be viewed in landscape mode?
Rookie

Using the instructions to install HAL..in the settings for the HAL desktop, u can declare handheld apps can only run in landscape mode.

Expect the devs at TWC to remove support for ANYTHING android that is not lmited to SD. They have demonstrated intentional hostility towards the platform (evolving their hdmi blocking to shut down those who have bypasses for it, continued "I would not be surprised to see it in future updates" for over a year) on AndroidTV platform).

If you want TWC, you are stuck with thier substandard HW, Roku and PC apps that work sometimes.

If not for 1 channel that my wife needs, I would have already dropped them.

Newcomer

I need the Android TV support for Sony TVs as well. I see that folks have been asking about this support for more than a year. Please implement this asap. Othwerwise, I'll be forced to switch to FIOS which is being installed in our building.

Thanks.