Rookie

When will the Spectrum app be available for the LG Smart TV?

On LG TV Webos 3.5 I can choose Sling TV or Hulu Live TV. But there is no Spectrum TV app available. When will it be available?
13 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: When will the Spectrum app be available for the LG Smart TV?

I wouldn't hold my breath.  Unless you plamn to replace your LG with a compatible Samsung TV (and not all the Samsung TV's are), you'll need a Roku.

Highlighted
Boz
Sharer

With new Roku devices starting at $25 when on sale, a Roku seems like a smarter and more veritile choice for many things than any brand smart TV.  Or at least that thought is something to consider...

Proven Sharer

@matty032wrote:
On LG TV Webos 3.5 I can choose Sling TV or Hulu Live TV. But there is no Spectrum TV app available. When will it be available?

Do you have an Xbox One?  The Spectrum TV app is available there as well.

Rookie

No I do not. Why would they have an app for Samsung and not LG. Yes I know Samsung has more sales, but LG is moving up with OLED sales.
Proven Sharer

@matty032wrote:
No I do not. Why would they have an app for Samsung and not LG. Yes I know Samsung has more sales, but LG is moving up with OLED sales.

I would agree as I don't like the exclusivity to specific devices either. I'm sure this is done as part of contractual agreements made with these device makers (Samsung, Microsoft, Roku) leaving out the others (LG, Playstation, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc.) to keep Spectrum IT from having to code for multiple platforms.

As more and more customers adopt streaming services, Spectrum will be forced to update with the industry which is already leaning towards a multi platform model...see Directv Now, Sling TV, Vue, Hulu, etc.  

Rookie

You would not want a $29 standard 1080 Roku on a 4K TV. That's a waste. You would have to buy the Roku Ultra at $99.99 to provide 4K.
Proven Sharer

@matty032wrote:
You would not want a $29 standard 1080 Roku on a 4K TV. That's a waste. You would have to buy the Roku Ultra at $99.99 to provide 4K.

For other apps like Netflix that have 4k support the 4k smart tv will have those apps already built in. The Roku would be needed for the Spectrum TV app which isn't supported in 4k so the Ultra is a waste...unless there are other apps that are available through Roku but not LG.

Rookie

Right now it might be. But why buy a standard HD Roku now, and have to turn around in a year or so and buy an Ultra. As providers make the switchover to 4K?
Proven Sharer

Very doubtful that Spectrum will be 4k in a year or two.  By the time it is the Roku Ultra will already be a couple of generations old and $25.  Right now only Dish, Directv, and Xfinity support 4k and even then it's very little content.  Trying to "future-proof" usually ends up costing more in the end.