Rookie

TWC TV App for Apple tvos

Any information available regarding the development of a TWC App for Apple tvos (Apple TV 4th gen)?
35 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: TWC TV App for Apple tvos

[ Edited ]

At this time we do not have any information regarding development of an App for the Apple TV.

For updates you can check out Charter Communications Newsroom

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Expert

[ Edited ]

Complain to Apple, Tell them you won't buy their proprietary junk unless they allow a standard APP to run...

(similar to the yearly Samsung firmware "updates" that don't support old Aps/ ) then people cry to the cable companies that have to rewrite code and it takes 3 months for a tested version.... just like the Iphone models....

Observer

Apple has nothing to do with it. They've released the developer SDK for the new TVOS on the AppleTV and it's up to the various companies and vendors to write the apps and submit them to the App Store. If you have an ATV4 then you know that HBOGO, Showtime Anywhere, HULU and other TV apps were available on Day 1. Those companies were on the ball and rewrote their apps quickly to get them on the device.

TWC may not issue an app at all, because why bother? You're already watching a TV so why not flip the input back to the cable box and watch it normally? The app is nice on your iPad when you're on the go or not in your TV room, otherwise what else does the app add to your experience when you're already watching the TV?

There may be other issues around such an app that have nothing to do with technical issues and everything to do with politics and money. Cable companies are already leery about people cutting the cord, and if Apple ever gets their subscription TV model off the ground then they'll be effectively cutting the Cable Co.s out of the loop completely. 

D

Rookie

@MsRayeappreciate the input but Darwin is correct, Apple has releases a public SDK for TVos and it is up to third party developers to submit their apps to the Apple TV App Store.

I honestly don't see any reason for TWC to deny developing the TWC TV app for the Apple TV as it is widely available already on multiple platforms. It only makes TWC more appealing to the consumer to offer a wide range of access to the service
Rookie

Mostly I want the app on Apple TV is so I can not be force to use that awful Cisco cable box and remote to change channel, when all my other devices all work wirelessly thoughout the house and want some integration with looking up stuff.

Right now I can do everything on my tv with my phone for instance but the one thing I want which is change the channel, which requires a special remote. Is it so bad I want to control everything with one device, rather than three or four or doesn't require line of signt to control?

Contributor

Actually with some cable boxes you can change the channel with your phone using the TWC TV app. When I had a cable box, I was able to open the app on my phone, look up the guide, tap on the show and would be presented with the option to watch it on my iPhone or the TV. When I selected the latter, it changed the channel. 

I would still like to see an Apple TV app myself. With TVos being open to developers, there's no reason they can't do it. 

Rookie

The only reason for them not to do it is greed.....gotta keep you paying those cable box rental fees....how many cable boxes you have in your house?  I pay 30+ dollars a month....for two cable boxes and dvr service...then another 5 dollars a month insurance on those boxes in case they fail....it is all about the money....400 dollars a year they squeeze outta me so my grand kids can watch two or three channels that I can't get without their box.

Contributor

I have zero cable boxes now as I'm in New York and have started a trial where you use the Roku only as your set top box. They even provided me with a Roku 3 that's mine to keep should I cancel the service. So far I love it. It felt wonderful turning my cable box in once and for all. Like freeing myself from a ball and chain.

Hopefully this experiment expands to other markets and you can give it a try. In many cases the Roku performs better than the cable box in terms of picture quality and reliability. Of course you need a higher speed tier on your internet connection, but I'm fine with that.
Spectator

As soon as twctv becomes an app on Apple TV it's goodbye ruko