Spectator

TWC App on Xbox OneCan't figure out how to change live tv channels

I downloaded the app to my XB1, logged in and viola. Live TV. I can't seem to change the channels with the controller, however. Nor with the Smartglass App. I can bring up the side menu where I can select "Watch Live TV", but no way to change the channel. All the categories listed below it go to On Demand stuff. Live TV does me no good if I can only wacth Duck Dynasty all day and night. Seriously, that's all I can watch in this app unless I want to watch something On Demand. I've tried every button on the controller, but the channel will not change. And of course, there are no instructions to be found anywhere to tell me what each button does either. Some of them do the same thing. Stupid. I had already ordered the XB1 remote off Amazon, so I hope that will be able to fix this issue, but if not, I'll return it. It would be a pain to have to use the controller to navigate live tv anyway, but it should at least be an option for anyone not willing to shell out another $25 for a remote. 

12 REPLIES

Re: TWC App on Xbox OneCan't figure out how to change live tv channels

I apologize for any confusion or frustration. Are you able to get to the Guide option? If so that is where you change the channels from. The app does not function the same as a regular TV where you can just channel surf. You would need to scroll through the guide and choose a channel to watch. I hope that this helps.

Tyleen
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Spectator

Not on the Xbox One. I am not using a cable box of any kind. I open the TWC App on the XB1, AMC comes up playing Duck Dynasty. Not all the buttons on the controller do things, but I figured it would work similar to the way my Roky TV works. On the Roku, I press left on the cross bar and I get a channel guide. When I do that on the XB1 controller, I get a menu with a list of things to choose: Watch Live TV or any number of categories for selecting On Demand content (ie, Kids, Movies, etc). When I select Watch Live TV, it just clears the menu and I'm watching Duck Dynasty still. If there is a Channel Guide, I do not know where it is, or what button on the XB1 controller is supposed to bring it up. 

I'm trying to figure out how to watch Live TV without these horrible little digital boxes I now have to use on all my TV's. I hate them and I want them all out of my house. It was my understanding that it was possible on the XB1. Is that not the case? Roku is the best way, but I can't afford to go buy a $50 Roku stick for every TV in the house at the moment when I have an XB1 on one of the TV's and an XB360 and PS4 on the other.

The Xbox One TWC TV app should work very similar to the way the Roku works. Once you get to the guide it should list all the shows and movies that are currently on and then you scroll through the list and choose the channel you want to watch. 

Tyleen
Forum Moderator

Spectator

I would really appreciate you detailing how to get to the channel guide with the XB1 controller. Because as I said, when I press left on the DPad all I get is a list of categories for On Demand content, not channels. There is an option for Live TV, but pressing it only takes it back to A&E Duck Dynasty. I can't find any channel guide anywhere.

Questions I would love a direct answer to:

1. Can I use the XB1 without any cable box at all (not even that crappy little digital converter thingee my other tvs need to decrypt the signal) and view live tv through the TWC app on the XB1? (Yes I have an account, and yes I'm signed in).

2. Could someone please explain step-by-step how to get to the channel guide? I consider myself pretty savy with this kind of thing, but I am aware that I could just be an idiot and this be very simple. Seeing as how I've pressed every button and searched everywhere within the app, I'm inclined to think I've encountered some kind of bug or glitch.

3. Are there instructions somewhere, online or in the app, that will detail what buttons/triggers control which functions within the app?

4. Does the Smartglass App on my phone help me at all? 

When you open the app it should automatically go to live TV then you press the left. This should take you to the live TV guide from there you can scroll up and down in the live TV guide to select other channels to watch. As for not having any other equipment but the XB1 no you do need to have some kind of equipment on your account as the app syncs with the equipment to allow the app to know what channels you subscribe to. 

Tyleen
Forum Moderator

Spectator

Pressing to the left is not doing what you say it should. I got the remote I ordered off Amazon today and I went and checked it out to make sure it worked and to see if it would function any differently. On the remote, I was finally able to change channels, but when I pressed the down button. I pressed down once and it brought up an info bar at the bottom of the screen. I then pressed down again and there was a line of channels across the bottom. It did not do this with the controller, though I plan to try again to be sure. I was able to scroll left to right through the channels. I'll be honest, it's really clunky to do it that way. This is nowhere near as functional, intuituive, and quick to use as the Roku app. I'm not sure why this needed to be so drastically different, and maybe it's beyond TWC's control due to the difference in hardware, but this app is terrible.

What Brand Remote are you using? 

Regards,
Stephanie S.
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Spectator

I'm using Microsoft's official XB1 remote purchased off Amazon. I just received it yesterday, and I was hoping to have better results with that than with the controller. 

Lead Moderator

I am sorry to hear the remote control is only slightly better than the controller.

We can certainly submit your feedback on the functionality of the TWCTV application 

on your Xbox One.

If you would like to provide specific information on what improvements you would like to see 

that would be helpful. 

Thank you!

Regards,
Julia R.
Moderator - TWC Community Forums