Rookie

Spectrum app NOT working on Samsung Smart TV and Roku

Recently switched back to Spectrum for TV streaming services.  I have a Samsung smart tv and 3 others with Roku sticks.  The Samsung tv app has NEVER worked.  So I had to put a roku stick in my smart tv.  Roku app works fine during the day but once 8 pm hits, the problems begin.  It begins to lag or doesnt work at all.  Uninstall and reinstall app and it sometimes works.  I'm on the phone with technical support every night.  They have no solution.  They just keep saying our engineers are working on it.  Thank goodness I still have YouTube TV until the end of the month.  Hopefully the app issues will be resolved by then.  If not resolved,  I'll cancel Spectrum, again.

12 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum app NOT working on Samsung Smart TV and Roku

Get a cable box.

I am certain that the popularity of streaming cable programming was underestimated, and there are simply too many customers trying to connect to Spectrum head-end servers and use it during peak periods.

There were similar posts on this a week or two ago when NFL games were unwatchable....

Newcomer

I have the same issue! It worked fine under TWC but once all our stuff got switched to Spectrum it has never been the same.  Started out just going out once in awhile but for last 3mos or so works fine in the day but at 8pm can’t change channel as service unavailable! This is same on our Visio also. Same answer from tech support to.. engineers working on it.  We have 1 tv with a set box & it works fine. Just the ones with roku & streaming the spectrum app. I’m pretty much done with spectrum. Looking around for another service. 

Newcomer

When it was Time Warner has no issues with streaming! I don’t want set boxes I want streaming! 

Rookie

Didn't have any problems when it was TWC either!  I have 5 tv's, x's that by $6.99 for each cable box!  I dropped Spectrum about 4 months ago, and the Samsung smart tv app didnt work then either. BUT the Time Warner Cable app DID WORK!  Go figure.

Newcomer

This is exactly what happens to us!  I can’t change the channel after 8:00 without getting an error.  Ridiculous!

Proven Sharer

I doubt it's an issue with a change in the name of the company.

The app was probably designed as an add-on to supplement an existing "linear" video subscription on second sets and hand-held devices (iPad, etc.).  When the system's requirements and scope were set up, the number of users was most likely underestimated.  Why build a ten-lane freeway when a four-lane one will do.

When the cable company (TWC did it to me well before the merger) began to encrypt video programming, and a box was required to view programming on all sets, the app became a much cheaper alternative, so more people flocked to it.  I am sure this extra demand wasn't anticipated and built into the design.

When the cable company began to offer "Choice" in an attempt to capture the "streaming only" Over-the-Top TV Market, the load that this brings to the streaming head-end was, too, under estimated.

There are simply too many people trying to use it.  They didn't swap out an old straming system and install a new one at the merger.... It's the same system.  It's just now overloaded and tired.

The performance of the streaming app a function of the number of users, and there are a lot more of them now.  Early adopters who were using the service before it got overloaded are now observing the impact of growth with not enough infrastructure in place.

Highlighted
Newcomer

Well, I do think it is related to TWC vs. Spectrum.  About 5 weeks ago, I was talking to spectrum rep about the fact that I was not getting the 100mbs that was promised on my bill I was paying. He informed me that I was technically still on our old TWC plan, which only provided 30mbs service.  I still had our old TWC access point and the small digital converter/cable boxes provided when you could no longer tune directly with your tv. Anyway, they got me a great new deal with the 200mbs internet, along with a lower rate on our service overall. But I had to bring in my old modem/access point and converter boxes. So, new modem and a few new cable boxes to replace the old boxes, and great new internet service. But, none of my app/streaming based service (roku, pc based, or android phone/tablet apps) worked any more WHEN CONNECTED TO OUR HOME NETWORK. None of the devices recognize the home network. Prior to "upgrading" our service, all apps worked perfectly 99+% of the time on all devices (very infrequent buffering, probably related to the lower bandwidth). I have spent hours on multiple calls to technical support, and nothing has remedied it. Some of the reps tell me its a known issue, others just reset the modem and tell me to wait 24 hours, which of course doesn't work.  Today it was supposedly ticketed and immediatly "moved up", as multiple reps have attempted the same workaround with no success. Honestly, I lke youtube TV, and if this issue is not resolved shortly, we are going back to that. Yeah, we loose channels, but 75% of what we watch is on it, and we can live without the rest.  But, to the point, I definately think it was directly related to the switch from our old level of service from TWC. Clearly, something changed, and this post seems to affirm that.

Newcomer

having the same issue as all the rest of you, last few months it has me crazy trying to troubleshoot. Internet constantly drops on my samsung smart tv the spp will freeze and I get to watch blue boxes go across the screen. SPECTRUM IS AWFUL!!!!
Lead Moderator

Good morning @jv1828

If your wireless connection is dropping from your TV this is not an app issue but 

a connectivity issue. Does the same thing happen on other devices or just the TV?

I would encourage you to begin a thread in our connectivity portion of the Forums

so that your peers can take a look into the connection. 

You can find some information that would be helpful in that here: 

DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums