Rookie

Spectrum TV streaming & Google chromecast

We just signed on the Spectrum TV streaming. I did not know that only Samsung smart TV can add Spectrum TV app. Watching TV from phone or tablet is very inconvenient and it for one person only. It cannot be watch for two people. The arm get tired holding it. It will be great if Spectrum TV app has the capability to send from mobile device to big screen TV like Netflix and YouTube app from mobile devices. Is there a chance to implement this feature in the app near future?
8 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Spectrum TV streaming & Google chromecast

@Johnny18wrote:
We just signed on the Spectrum TV streaming. I did not know that only Samsung smart TV can add Spectrum TV app. Watching TV from phone or tablet is very inconvenient and it for one person only. It cannot be watch for two people. The arm get tired holding it. It will be great if Spectrum TV app has the capability to send from mobile device to big screen TV like Netflix and YouTube app from mobile devices. Is there a chance to implement this feature in the app near future?

Roku is supported.   They are relatively cheap (<$50), and make any TV a smart TV.  I'd spend the extra money for a Roku with a hard-wired ethernet port.  They perform better.

Helper

If the wifi signal is strong enough, a Roku Express sells at Best Buy for < $30.

Rookie

I have been using Roku Express + for last 3 days already. In my opinion, the video of live TV cannot maintain a HD video. It kept dropping the quality. The on demand videos are little better, but they are still having issue with video quality. I don't have the issue with Google Chromecast on the same TV. I can watch Netflix and YouTube without degrading video quality.
Helper

@Johnny18wrote:
I have been using Roku Express + for last 3 days already. In my opinion, the video of live TV cannot maintain a HD video. It kept dropping the quality. The on demand videos are little better, but they are still having issue with video quality. 

I tend to agree with you about the video quality on the app on the big tv when it comes to sports, but most everything else is okay for me. Even sports look great through the app on my phone, although I bet it wouldn't be so good if I cast the app to the tv. 

Rookie

I ordered a different model Roku ultra 4K. I will try to connect with wifi ac first. If the video is still bad, then I will use an Ethernet cable. I think the Spectrum app should have some buffer before playing the video. I remember when netflix started. The video quality was not that good at that time. Over the years, netflix has improved their video performance.
Boz
Sharer

@Johnny18wrote:
I have been using Roku Express + for last 3 days already. In my opinion, the video of live TV cannot maintain a HD video. It kept dropping the quality. The on demand videos are little better, but they are still having issue with video quality. I don't have the issue with Google Chromecast on the same TV. I can watch Netflix and YouTube without degrading video quality.

If WiFi or your internet connection aren't close to perfect, the Spectrum TV app often experiences issues.

As you noted, Netflix doesn't seem to have the issues that the Spectrum TV app has on less than nearly perfect WiFi or internet connection.

Rookie

After testing Roku Ultra ($99) for 3 days, I have not seen bad video quality. It works perfectly.
The other way to workaround this issue is to add a Wifi extender to boost the wifi signal for the Roku Express.
In my opinion, Spectrum app team should fix the video performance issue in wireless, because I can watch the Netflix movies on the same Roku Express+ device without any video lags.
Browser

I'd avoid the Roku Express or Express+ models, especially the 2016 models that are not quad core.    You can get a refurbished 2016 model Roku 3600R stick on ebay for $29 or $30 shipped, and it supports MIMO, which even the 2017 quad core Express and Express+ don't do.   (You can also use the voice remote with the 3600 series as well as the 3810 series sticks.) 

I use a Netgear R6400 Nighthawk AC1750  and a Netgear EX7000 AC1900 wifi extender.    My largest TVs are 1080p, and I have no issues with either buffering or picture quality after I installed the EX7000 extender.    I have one 2016 Roku Express+ 3700 series stick on a 10 yr old CRT TV, and I have tried that same Express+ on one of the 40" TVs.    It is an econo stick that just doesn't have the horsepower.    Slow, lower resolution, not voice remote compatible.    I have  4 of the Roku 3600 series (R, RW, W, maybe?) some of which are new and some used or refurbished.    I also have one of the newest 2017 model 3018R Streaming Stick+  on one of the 40" 1080 TVs.    I didn't see any difference in how well the 3810R model can handle weaker wifi signals.   I saw no real difference between it and the 3600 series sticks, concerning wifi.   Now that I have the EX7000 range extender, I could consider a 4K TV and a different Roku with ethernet hookup.   But 1080p on a 40" TV is working well enough for me, for now.    It's been pretty true for the past couple of years that ethernet is the preferred setup for 4K.