Re: Spectrum App on Samsung Smart TV is Broken

Is this Error Spectrum Or Samsung? Smart Hub Error SVS 1007 UN32M530D

After firmware update, 1210.8, on 4-8, the WiFi connection and the performance of all apps (Spectrum & Netflix) improved greatly.  According to Speedtest.Net, the WiFi internet speed is 118mbps on 5G at the physical location of the TV.

However, I am now getting intermittently Error SVS 1007. It only occurs when the TV is turned on and not every time.  It has only happened twice since 4-8. The error seems to occur when the Smart Hub is attempting to connect to the network. For the Spectrum TV app, it says the specified channel is not available.   After OK is entered, a channel list is displayed but with “Not Available” for each channel in the list.  

The problem is cleared by exiting the app and then reentering the app again.

Any suggestions?

Browser

App may work on more models than what's on the list

4/12/18   The latest Spectrum app + the latest Samsung firmware may work on more models than this list (https://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00009313465-compatible).

I just bought the $86.99 refurbished Samsung UN24M4500 from WalMart (Walmart #: 567138281).  The TV I received was manufactured Oct 2017.   It has smart hub, and it seems to run the Spectrum app as well as ithe Spectrum app has been running on anyone else's Sansung, lol.  That is, it works at least 98% of the time and I haven't experienced any problems except the typical ones that everyone else has written about.    On-demand works, but with some annoyances like TCM on-demand has wide black borders on all 4 sdies and there's no way I can see to change the aspect ratio to get rid of that.

Samsung model  UN24M4500

manufacture date  Oct 2017
software  T-KTSAKUC-1156.0

sub-micron version   T-KTSINTV-1003

e-manual version   KTSATSCL 1.1.5

version of the app:    (Sorry, I don't have that information yet. Installed  4/6/18.

I also have a Roku 3600 stick (2016 model) on this same TV,  and the Spectrum Roku app is much more "mature" and bug-free than the Samsung app.    You can buy a used or refurbished Roku 3600 series stick on ebay for $29.99.  If you buy the 2017 streaming Stiick+ that has 4K, you not only are a bit more future proof for a TV upgrade, but its remote can control TV of/on and volume, plus adds voice control.   You can buy just that remote from Roku for about $30 and it will work with the Roku 3600 sticks.  But you can buy a brand new 2017 Stick+ for around $50-$60, so that is a better value than buying a new remote for a used Roku.   I presume the Stick+ remote can work a Samsung.  Haven't actually tried it yet.

The Roku app was rather unreliable and balky to get running until relatively recently,   But most of the problems I experienced with it have been fixed now, and I use it on a couple of TVs.   Of the two versions, I'd say the Roku is farther ahead and the one to go with if you just want to watch TV and not fight with hardware and software.   Any quad core Roku stick is very robust.  plus you get more free movies on the Roku channel.

Browser

@der0225wrote:
...seems to occur when the Smart Hub is attempting to connect to the network. For the Spectrum TV app, it says the specified channel is not available.   After OK is entered, a channel list is displayed but with “Not Available” for each channel in the list.  

The problem is cleared by exiting the app and then reentering the app again.

My 24" TV finally did the  "Not Available"  thing last night.   Would not load any channels in the Spectrum app.  I exited the app, turned TV off/on, restarted the app, and it worked fine.    Seemed like a temporary issue.  I don't have a lot of time to watch TV, but tried leaving the TV on for almost an entire day and would periodically go in and change channels in the Spectrum app, but I haven't seem this "Not Available"  problem reoccur.

i Bought 2 of these Samsung Smart TV's, again because analog cable was shut off in my area recently. I also bought a 24 inch Samsung TV. The spectrum website lists all Samsung Smart TV's from 2012 or newer as being compatible with the app (Spectrum for Samsung Smart TV). I am having a disasterous time with this television especially since its being operated by an elderly person who cannot understand things as well as some of us. The main problem is one channel will not load, moreover, its the one she needs to watch the most. It just keeps giving us a generic "channel unavailable" error.... all other channels work, just the one she needs to watch does not. The channel we need to get working is Channel 4, and again, its hthe only one that doesn't work and has not been working for a few days. Where exactly is the problem in this situation, is it with the actual channel, the app itself on Samsung TV's or with Spectrum???? I was able to update the firmware on the TV and download the app just fine, but the past few days I have had these "channel unavailable" errors which are not acceptable on a newly bought TV.
Browser

This is their "official" list, Sara:   https://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00009313465-compatible

I have no idea what's going on with the Samsung Spectrum app.   But if you otherwise like the TVs, there is a way to uncheck a box in the smart hub setting so that the TV defaults to the last input you usesed,  i.e.   HDMI_whateever with a Roku stick attached.    That is how I watch Spectrum most of the time.   (I never knew Samsung had a Spectrum app until recently.)   Roku Spectrum is more "mature" than the Samsung one, it appears.   As long as you get a Roku model that's higher level than an Express or Express+ stick, I think you'd be happy with its performance and ease of use.

I have bought three remanufactured Roku sticks from ebay listing #282424355639 and put one on my Samsung 24" and the others on other people's other brands.   All of them work great, and I use the Roku Spectrum app all the time to watch Spectrum on my own TV.  My parents have 2 Spectrum rental boxes because they had them before I got them Rokus and they just felt more comfortable keeping them, plus they don't have to deal with router and range extender and wifi to use them.    Whatever makes people happy, lol.  Their boxes cost them $10/month for 2.   

Spectator

I agree that the Roku works great with the Spectrum app and is a lot more reliable than the disastrous experience I had with the Samsung Smart TV. 

Another option might be a TV with Roku built-in.  They are quite inexpensive, especially in the 24" size.  There's an Insignia model at Best Buy for $149.

Depending on how long you've had the Samsung, there's a chance you could return it.

The Roku does work great,  however my channel 4 is still out via the Spectrum App on Samsung TV. Channel 4 works on the Roku Ultra on another TV in the house at the same time it is down on the Samsung app, it also works of course on the cable box. The channel is WIBVDT in Niagara Falls, NY.  The channel gives error code SLP-1002. What is this error and how can I fix this issue? I googled this error and could not find it anywhere. This channel has been down for at least a week for us and it is incredibly frustrating as its the one we need to work on that particular TV. This channel worked perfectly on this TV a couple weeks ago when we first bought the TV.  Is this an error related to spectrum, samsung or perhaps the TV network itself?