Participant

Re: DVR with Spectrum TV Choice

@aouchie1wrote:

I got a Spectrum cable box this weekend and could not get this to work, could not activate the equipment etc.  I called troubleshooting and I was told by the technician that this box would not work with Spectrum Stream (SpectrumTVChoice).  Will anything work - we really like DVR service and will probably cancel SpectrumTVChoice if we are unable to have DVR capability.

There is no way for the 'Spectrum APP' to recognize the equipement etc.  Any help would be appreciated.

You need to make sure what service you have, because you seem to have mentioned two different Spectrum offerings as if they were one product.

As I already stated above, unless/until something changes, you can't use a Spectrum cable box with "Spectrum TV Stream"; you have to use it with a computer browser, or using the Spectrum TV app on a tablet, smartphone, Roku, Playstation, or select Samsung smart TVs.

You CAN use a Spectrum cable box with "Spectrum TV Choice".

Participant

@aouchie1wrote:

I do have spectrum tv choice.

Returned the dvr Spectrum gave me Saturday but was told someone should have activated it on their end - which they did today.  They were confident it would work for recording.  I won't have time to hook this up until later this evening but will keep everyone informed as to whether it works.

A Spectrum cable box and/or DVR is definitely supposed to be compatible with "Spectrum TV Choice".

Hopefully Spectrum got the issue resolved and it will work when you hook it up this time.  Good luck!

Lead Moderator

Have you previously had a cable box or modem on that outlet that you are using?

If the box still does not work you may need to have that outlet activated.

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Newcomer

Hi Julie:  With Spectrum TV Choice, I would like to use my existing Tivo Roamio for recording channels.  It seems that the customer service rep I was just speaking with equated the app based Spectrum Stream, with Spectrum TV Choice.  Also, I can't change internet service providers at this time.  She indicated that I can only get Spectrum TV Choice with Spectrum internet so they are compatible.  This doesn't sound right.  Can you clarify this, and let me know if there is anything I need to tell the rep specificially if I move to sign up for service?  Thank you. 

Spectrum Employee

Hello Jamessugg,

Spectrum Choice is an Internet only,  economy level streaming service only. It is not compatible with a 3rd party DVR device as it is run exclusively through the Spectrum TV app or a cable box. As far as I am aware, it is not compable with cable card devices.

This service is offered only to those customers who subscribe to Internet or Internet + Phone plans.

If you subscribe to Spectrum Select, Silver or Gold tiers, the Spectrum TV app is already available to you, and Choice would not apply as you would already access most of the content delivered by Choice in the first place.

It is also correct that you would not be allowed to subscribe to Spectrum Choice with a seperate internet service provider. The Internet based Spectrum App is tied to your Spectrum Account and your Spectrum Internet Modem you recieve. If you don't have Internet Service, you cannot use the app.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Newcomer

Is there not a traditional "wired cable" package similar to this?  I am not interested in the Spectrum Select package.  I have seen multiple recent forum entries where folks are using the term Spectrum choice for a wired cable package that I'd like to subscribe to.  Is there another name I should use when inquiring?  Thank you. 

Spectrum Employee

jamessugg,

You can get Spectrum Choice and Spectrem Stream and elect to get a cable box with the service, the monthly box fee of $5.99/month still applies. You would still be able to access the app as well.

As a quick reference for you, this is how the channels break down at a high order:

1. Spectrum Basic
    • Local Broadcast network stations and shopping channels only. Most basic and standard local channel service offered.
    • Requires Box.
  2. Spectrum Choice
    • Local Broadcast + The 10 channel choice from a select list. 
    • Does not require a box.
    • Can request Premiums
    • Cannot add Digi tiers 1 or 2, or other stations outside of the list of approved stations.
  3. Spectrum Select
    • 65+ channels, Local Broadcast + "basic cable". Basic cable at this point is your normal channels you expect with a normal subscription.
    • Requires Box
  4. Spectrum Silver
    • Basic Cable + Digi Tier 1
    • HBO, Showtime and Cinemax
    • Requires Box
  5. Spectrum Gold
    • Basic Cable + Digi Tier 1 + Digi Tier 2
    • HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Stars, Encore, TMC +others
    • Requires Box

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Lead Moderator

Just to clear things up.

Spectrum Stream does allow receivers. If equipment is being added the customer may have the ability to do an Easy Connect. If there are no active outlets, or if they just prefer, they can have a professional install.  For this package you can add premium channels, a la carte.  Customers that do not have Spectrum Internet and want to use Spectrum TV, Stream must have a Spectrum wireless cable modem installed in their home.

Customers must have Starter TV video package or higher for this package and do not have the choice of channel as with Spectrum Choice. 

For Spectrum Choice, If you wish you can elect to add a receiver or DVR. if you wish to add  Public, Education, Government channels, or sports subscription channels , a digital receiver is required.  Spectrum Internet service is required to subscribe to Spectrum TV Choice. This package is available to new customers* and customers who do not currently subscribe to Video services*. You are able to add premium channels at an a la carte. 

To discuss what options you are eligible for and to discuss the available channels for Spectrum Choice/Stream

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Valued Participant

@Rhino75wrote:
Sling, which is comparable to this Choice service uses cloud DVR. I prefer to use my local service (Spectrum) for viewing, and if Spectrum expects to keep customers, they will need to be able to add this feature, soon.

One difference between Sling and Spectrum TV Choice is the former does not include local TV stations in its base package, so Sling is not directly comparable to TV Choice. I believe the only way to get local TV channels with Sling is to add them separately, possibly at an additional cost to the subscriber; the reason Sling does not include local channels in its basic package has to do with carriage fees, surcharges,  and other problems associated with putting these channels on a streaming service. Sling is a streaming TV service that is trying to keep its costs, therefore its subscription fees, as low as possible. If they included local TV, the monthly fee to subscribers would be much higher than it is now, and of course fewer people would subscribe to the service.

Another TV service which does not include locals is Pluto TV. This free streaming service has many channels available, but absolutely no locals or even an option to add them. Two other streaming TV services which do include local TV stations and  cloud DVR at no additional cost are YouTube TV and Hulu with live TV.  I don't recall the monthly subscription fee for either service. However, if you want to subscribe to Sling and still get NBC, ABC and PBS for free, you can. These networks have their own apps which stream their programming free of charge. CBS also has a streaming app, but it is a paid service. I would think many if not most cable channels have streaming apps as well.