Highlighted

TWC says I have to have their internet, but their internet doesn't work.

[ Edited ]

I am canceling the internet, because they installed a modem (rated 100 Mbs) that wasn't capable of providing the speeds which they charged me for (300 Mbs)- borderline fraud. I sit here, no internet, using my cell data to wonder why I am being forced to purchase an inferior product.

Has anybody had any success filing a complaint with the FTC with regards to "tying"? It's not illegal all the time, but can be when a company forces the purchase of a product that isn't in the best interest of the consumer- btw - the Intelligent Home modem works with any internet you plug it into - so, that seems to be a pretty clear case of "tying". Tsk. Tsk.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/tying-...

I suggest that TWC lets people use the internet provider they choose, or pay me back for the $1000 of equipment that is tied to an internet service that barely works. 

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: TWC says I have to have their internet, but their internet doesn't work.

what model modem do you have?

Copy and paste the signal level and error log pages, don't reset it.

Where are you located and why didn't you get a replacement modem when twc sent out the max upgrade letters?

Sharer

Can you clarify your comments?  Are you saying TWC is forcing you to purchase their internet service or purchase their modem for the internet service you have subscribed to? If I understand correctly you pay for 300 Mbps service but only receive 100 Mbps speeds? This could be due to many things. It could be as simple as a coding error on your account. It could be that you have physical line/signal issues. It could be that they inadvertantly gave you the wrong modem for your service or you never had it updated when you went to 300 Mbps.

Legacy TWC plans do charge for the modem lease, but you have the option of purchasing your own modem and ditching the lease fee. If you lease the modem and they gave you the wrong modem or you need to update the modem for your package, they will exchange it at no cost to you.

Lead Moderator

One of the qualifications for having our Intelligent Home service is having our Internet service.  

The Intelligent Home device is a router, not a modem.  It does require a 

Internet connection, if your Intelligent Home service is online, and not on cellular backup, this tells us that your modem is online and functioning. 

If you are having a problem with speeds we would be happy to look into this for you.

Please feel free to contact us directly at   Forums_Help with your account number

and verification of your home address. 

Thank you!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums