Spectator

SERIOUS SECURITY ISSUE IN NIGHT MODE

After a recent string of break-ins in my neighborhood I decided to upgrade my IntelligentHome system. Many of the break-ins involved intruders entering the home without opening a door or window, so I chose to have three additional motion sensors installed in the first floor of my house.

By accident I later discovered that the motion sensors are not tripping when my system is in NIGHT mode. I called the support number and was told this was normal, but a technician was scheduled to come out to my house to program the system locally so that they would activate. When the technician came out he also said this was normal and called his own support line who said the motion sensors could not be activated in NIGHT mode.

I was told the motion sensors should not activate when in NIGHT mode so people can go to the bathroom at night. This is not correct. If you’re concerned about that use case you can use STAY instead. Also, none of the houses in my neighborhood have motion sensors protecting the hallways to the bathrooms. I was also told I can use AWAY instead of NIGHT while I’m sleeping. Besides being ridiculous that I set my system to AWAY when I’m not away, this gives an intruder a handy countdown (while I’m asleep) before the alarm triggers. It also triggers an annoying beeping sound at night when I set it and it’s counting down - potentially waking my children as I’m arming the system.

BOTTOM LINE: THERE IS NO SETTING THAT WILL IMMEDIATELY ALERT ME TO MOTION IN THE HOUSE WHILE I’M SLEEPING.

I am stunned. Either three of your employees don’t know how to properly program the system or your system has a MAJOR SECURITY FLAW that needs to be corrected immediately for all of your customers.

Your security system, like many others, has three modes. The way they should work is:

1. AWAY: There is no one in the house. When the system is set a COUNTDOWN begins to allow you to leave the house before it is fully armed. When it is tripped another countdown begins to allow you to enter the code when you return. All entrances and motion sensors should be active.

2. STAY: Someone is in the house, but wants the extra security of arming the system against intrusion (or small children leaving the house). The motion sensors can’t be enabled because the person or people in the home will trigger the alarm. There should be NO countdown though because if an intruder enters the home the people inside need to know IMMEDIATELY.

3. NIGHT: Like STAY, people are in the home. Unlike STAY they are sleeping so there should be no motion in the home. Any open entrance or motion in the home represents a danger to the sleeping residents. The alarm should trigger IMMEDIATELY.

My understanding (now) is the IntellgentHome does not activate motion sensors in NIGHT mode. This means that - unlike the previous alarm systems I’ve used - my family has been at risk at night and I did not know it. It also means the additional motion sensors I had installed in my house to further protect my family have not been functional.

WHAT I NEED: I need to know that you understand this is a serious safety issue for your customers and will either educate your people about how to properly program the system, or will make changes to the system to allow proper behavior. Barring this I would like a refund for the motion sensors I just had installed and I’ll look for an alarm system that will protect my family while we’re sleeping.

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: SERIOUS SECURITY ISSUE IN NIGHT MODE

They aren't going to fix it just for you.... especially customized. I suggest you talk to a legitimate central

alarm company to see if they can meet your needs.

Away mode should trigger instantly when any windows or doors that aren't your normal entrance to get to the keypad are tripped.

Only the normal entrance should be delayed.

Lead Moderator

You indicate that they are not getting in through doors or windows? How are the burglers entering the home? 

You can choose to use the Arm Away status if you like. The motion sensors will however alarm if you move about the house. You may choose to disarm the system from the App or Website before walking around. You can also arm and disarm by zone depending on your needs. 

If you have any other specific questions we suggest you contact our Intelligent Home agents directly.

1-855-632-6060

Spectator

AWAY is not a suitable alternative. You're telling me at 11pm when I want to go to bed I have to listen to a beeping sound for 60 seconds as the system is arming? If this wakes one of my kids instead of me going to sleep I have to get my kids to go back to bed. Every night? And if someone breaks in near an entrance (they're almost cerntainly going to) they'll get a countown timer before the alarm goes off?

Instead of telling me to use AWAY when I'm not away, please fix the NIGHT mode problem. As it stands NIGHT and STAY are the same. This isn't just a problem for me, it's a problem for everyone.

I did call your agents directly. They were not able to help. They sent a technician who was not able to help. Please escalate this through your management chain so it can be addressed at a system level.

Spectator

Why suggest using AWAY mode when I'm not away? That's what NIGHT mode is for. As it stands NIGHT mode is useless and AWAY doesn't solve my problem. An intruder will likely break in near one of my entrances (I have winows near every door) and I don't want them to get a countdown before the alarm sounds.

They don't need to fix this for me. They need to fix it for everyone. I can't understand why this isn't an obvious oversight.

Spectrum Employee

A technician can set the motions to Interior Delay Arm Night.  This will put the motions on the same delay as your Entry/Exit doors.  But the system will still have to be disarmed or siren will go off like it would with doors.  There is also different settings in the motions that can be set for fast response or a 2 event usually used for false alarm responses.  Each motion can be set differently

Spectator

This is what I want. A technician was sent to my home, but said this couldn't be done. What do I need to do so this is set up properly?

Spectrum Employee

I would call and ask for a Lead Tech to come to set up

Spectator

Called and requested a lead tech. Explained situation to the agent on the phone and she quickly responded that a tech would indeed be required on site to change the programming.

Tech just left after explaining it can't be done. He also could not explain the difference between how TWC is using Stay vs. Night. He also incorrectly said that's how ADT and others work. I've had others. They all activated motion sensors in night mode.

So I've been though the loop twice and am furious. I'll call the customer service department and see how quickly I can switch to one of your competitors.

Rookie

We just went through the same thing. I had 2 different techs tell me, in the passed 2 years,  that it could be done with no problem. We chose not to have it set for motion at night because of we didn't have a keypad for upstairs. We finally asked for a keypad to go upstairs so that we could activate motion in night mode and a different tech that said he had been with the company for 4 years said it could not be done. I refused to believe that! I tried to convince him that there would be no need for us to get a keypad if the night mode with motion wasn't an option. FINALLY, after making several calls (whoever he talked to said it coldn't be done in night and away), he decided to try it anyway. He was saying you could only have motion in one or the other. Either night or away. Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. He put it in Night with motion and it worked!! A true blue miracle, I tell ya! It automatically has motion with the away mode. So, YES it works! I have motion with night and away. I feel like I could teach a class on this now. *sigh*