Browser

Selective Handling of Home Phone Calls

I greatly appreciate the feature of being able to block calls.  I can block calls on my cordless home phone, but they still ring one time, which is killer if one is trying to sleep.  For all those early calls that wake us up, I turn to Time Warner because the block calls don't ring at all.   It's an absolute lifesaver.  My one HUGE disappointment, however, is the number of calls that we can block.  The allocated number of blocks filled up so quickly, and now everytime I add one, I have to delete one.  I really wish that TWC would consider increasing the number of allocated block calls.  I would think it would be a great selling point for TWC phone service and a great addition when advertising TWC.  WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BLOCK TELEMARKETERS???????????????????!!!!!!    

17 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Selective Handling of Home Phone Calls

I had the same thought and suggestion when I was first introduced to the Selective Call Handling tool in training!

The answer I got was basically that the software has a limit; to which I'm like "yes yes I understand that, but can we have that limit increased somehow?"  Pretty much exactly what you're asking for here.

I'd love to resumbit that suggestion up the chain of command with a bit more customer support for it behind the suggestion.  (replies to this topic, enjoys for this topic, etc.)  Could you all help me by gathering that customer-level support?  I can't make any promises, only that I'd voluntarily ask again and the more support for it the better.

:-)

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

Leenda wrote:

I greatly appreciate the feature of being able to block calls.  I can block calls on my cordless home phone, but they still ring one time, which is killer if one is trying to sleep.  For all those early calls that wake us up, I turn to Time Warner because the block calls don't ring at all.   It's an absolute lifesaver.  My one HUGE disappointment, however, is the number of calls that we can block.  The allocated number of blocks filled up so quickly, and now everytime I add one, I have to delete one.  I really wish that TWC would consider increasing the number of allocated block calls.  I would think it would be a great selling point for TWC phone service and a great addition when advertising TWC.  WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BLOCK TELEMARKETERS???????????????????!!!!!!    

Hi Leenda,

You can block Telemarketers now with TWC Digital Phone and "Nomorobo" Here is how to do that:

1.) Log into TWC "My Account" (My Services.)

2.) Go to "Home Phone" settings

3.) Go to "Voice Zone Settings"

4.) Find "Nomorobo" under Caller Privacy

5.) Click "Edit"

6.) Turn it On

7.) Say "Yes" to the activation of "Answer Anywhere." 

8.) Save your changes

That's it!  Nomorobo is now activated.  The most important thing to remember is this:

Nomorobo requires your phone to ring at least ONCE to screen the call.  Answering machines and voicemail MUST allow the first ring for Nomorobo to work.  Telemarketers and Robocalls are dropped after the first ring.  If the call is legit, the call will be permitted after the first ring screen test.

Additionally, calls from pharmacy, doctors appointments, and weather emergencies are always allowed.  Here is more information on how to activate "Nomorobo:"

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2016/01/enroll-online-today-to-end-home-robocalls/

Good luck!

Satch

Sharer

While Nomorobo is fine, I'd like to see TWC allow the option of automatically blocking calls that come in with a non-dialable phone number in caller ID. For example, I've received calls with 704-001-2345 in Caller ID. There should be an option to automatically block that.

Spectator

Satch.....if it has to ring once to be figured out as a robo that's all well and good but it doesn't have to be a reason to keep the 30 phone #block limit.

just one opinion.

Trusted Helper

ElisaTobia wrote:

Satch.....if it has to ring once to be figured out as a robo that's all well and good but it doesn't have to be a reason to keep the 30 phone #block limit.

just one opinion.

I agree,

My family is in the process of connecting a new phone that has a 250 number blocking system.  With Nomorobo, we probably won't need that, but having only a 30 number blocking limit is not enough in TWC Digital Phone Settings, and should still be expanded, in a big way.  With online technology, why not have it block somewhere between 250 to 500 numbers?

Satch

Browser

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I already have Nomorobo activated.  Because it still rings once, however, we still get calls that wake us up in the morning ... OVER and OVER.  It's also just annoying to have the phone ring even once - it only serves to interrupt whatever one happens to be doing.  For this reason, TWC's selective phone call handling is preferred over Nomorobo, because it does not ring at all.  I have calls blocked on my cordless phone (my allotment is full), I have Nomorobo, and use TWC's selective phone handling (that's full, too).    

So, back to my original comment, I wonder why TWC cannot expand the number of blocked calls allowed.  Thirty just isn't enough.  It's wonderful to be able to block calls and not have to hear the phone ring .... we just need a bigger allotment.   If TWC wants a hook to attract customers, this would certainly be an attractive feature to many, many potential customers and again, TWC could use this in their advertisements to set themselves apart from other cable companies.  Win-win.  

Trusted Helper

Leenda wrote:

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I already have Nomorobo activated.  Because it still rings once, however, we still get calls that wake us up in the morning ... OVER and OVER.  It's also just annoying to have the phone ring even once - it only serves to interrupt whatever one happens to be doing.  For this reason, TWC's selective phone call handling is preferred over Nomorobo, because it does not ring at all.  I have calls blocked on my cordless phone (my allotment is full), I have Nomorobo, and use TWC's selective phone handling (that's full, too).    

So, back to my original comment, I wonder why TWC cannot expand the number of blocked calls allowed.  Thirty just isn't enough.  It's wonderful to be able to block calls and not have to hear the phone ring .... we just need a bigger allotment.   If TWC wants a hook to attract customers, this would certainly be an attractive feature to many, many potential customers and again, TWC could use this in their advertisements to set themselves apart from other cable companies.  Win-win.  

Greetings,

I fully agree that TWC MUST expand its call blocking database number fields for the reasons we have specified.  In the meantime, does your existing phone have a ringer on/off switch?  You could still set the phone to ring once for Nomorobo to work, but with the ringer turned off when you go to bed, you would not hear it in the morning, and could than turn it on after everyone was awake. You could also try turning down the volume of the ring.

I found this on Amazon, it's a ringer on/off switch that you could also use if your phone does not have one.  You could connect this to your phone line, turn the ringer off at night and turn it on in the morning.  Really good reviews as well!   $15.00 plus shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Telephone-connected-Interrupt-TRICK-Exclusive/product-reviews/B003VKRE6Y

Satch

Browser

Turning off the ringer is a good idea .... EXCEPT, if there was a family emergency and someone absolutely need to get a hold of us, I wouldn't want to take a chance of missing the call.  I hope TWC is "listening" to these forums, as I really think allowing us to block more numbers would be a big selling point for them, not to mention making customers not want to leave and go to another co.  

Newcomer

I totally agree!