Trusted Helper

New Guide- Feedback Suggestions and Help

[ Edited ]

Hey All,

An updated on screen guide is rolling out over the next several weeks and months to the advanced cable boxes.  Several new features include the following:

1.) Recently Viewed- You can now go back and  review the last 14 shows you watched, regardless of how you wantched them.  (Live TV, DVR, or On Demand.) No need to remember channel numbers anymore.

2.) The Menu button brings up a quick menu were you can access most frequently used functions in one place such as DVR, settings, search,  Caller ID (Requires Digital Phone Service) and more. 

3.) Search functions are now more integrated with all aspects of the guide system.

4.) Kids have their own portal for children's and family programing in one place.

5.) You can rename your box in Settings.

6.) You can reboot your box (without having to unplug it) in Settings.

7.) The Menu includes a tutorial on how to use the new guide features. (Feature Tour)

For more information go here:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Mods may want to pin up this topic for  easy access to feedback.  I think this will help the community.

Satch

124 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: New Guide- Feedback Suggestions and Help

Apparently if you have a box that uses i-Guide this will not apply. It's funny, I've had i-Guide for so long that the 2nd box in my house was recently replaced with a new Samsung with the new guide and I don't like it.  Change is difficult. Robot tongue

Seasoned Contributor

What I'd like to see changed in the new guide is how noon and midnight are expressed. Many people confuse 12:00 AM with 12:00 PM. Those expressions aren't technically correct anyway. So if this change is incorporated into the new guide, browsing the listings would go 11:30 PM, Midnight, 12:30 AM; and 11:30 AM, Noon, 12:30 PM. Likewise the current time, whether in the listings or on the channel banner, would go 11:59 PM, Midnight, 12:01 AM; and 11:59 AM, Noon, 12:01 PM.

By the way, iGuide expresses midnight as 12:00m and noon as 12:00n. So if space limitations are an issue, either those expressions can be used or midnight can be abbreviated as "Mid." while "Noon" can be spelled out.

As I see it, this would especially benefit DVR users who wish to record shows at noon (when they're most likely at work) or midnight (when they're most likely asleep) without confusion as to which 12:00 they intend to record.
Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

Some Feedback on the New Guide,

Have not been updated in Wisconsin yet, but have friends with the update in other TWC-Spectrum areas, and one request that they have is one of two options with regard to the Main Menu that appears every time the box is turned on to watch TV:

1.) First option would be that in a future software update, the main menu does not appear when the box is turned on. Under this method the customer would bring up the Menu Screen using the Menu button on the remote, or the corresponding arrow keys, or the current A (Access) button. The Quick Access Menu would only appear when asked by the customer using the above methods.

2.) Option two would be that the Quick Access Menu would appear by default when the customer turns on the box, as is the current standard for this update. But, an option would be placed in the Settings Menu that would allow the customer to turn off the Access Menu if he or she chose to do so, when the box is powered on to watch TV.

Note that there is no current way to NOT see the Quick Menu each time that box is turned on.

My understanding is that the following commands dismiss the Quick Access Menu.

1.) Doing nothing-The menu goes away after 15 seconds.
2.) Pressing the Menu key to exit the menu, press again to return.
3.) Pressing the Exit button.

I will let you know what family members and I think once Wisconsin gets the update.

Satch

It looks like the only way to sove a problem with time warner,or specid,as they call it is to go to another company.I am thinking about direct tv,maybe i can talk to some one there,instead of some one put in a position to take flak,and there is nothing they can do.Well i am not that stupid.I want result.In other words i was perfectly happy with the tv the way it was,well it seems some one is trying tob  reeinvet the wheel,and have goodfed up thec tv!!!!!!!  Time warner quite  hiding in a shell,or you will be losing more customers beside mysely. Thomas c mccullough

Trusted Helper

mccultc wrote:

It looks like the only way to sove a problem with time warner,or specid,as they call it is to go to another company.I am thinking about direct tv,maybe i can talk to some one there,instead of some one put in a position to take flak,and there is nothing they can do.Well i am not that stupid.I want result.In other words i was perfectly happy with the tv the way it was,well it seems some one is trying tob  reeinvet the wheel,and have goodfed up thec tv!!!!!!!  Time warner quite  hiding in a shell,or you will be losing more customers beside mysely. Thomas c mccullough

Hi Thomas,

What specific problems are you having with the New Guide?  Or is it the physical apperence you don't like?

Satch

I detest the new guide options.  Irritating menu on left that can't be turned off and the search function is not user friendly. The search by category is more limited than before. Expand the category's back to what I had before your "improvements". 

Lead Moderator

Good Morning All

We would love to have your feedback on the new guide.

If there are specific items you like or dislike please do let us know. 

If you are not a big fan of the Recently Reviewed feature you can turn this Off.

You would want to navigate to Settings, then Display finally to Recently Viewed

You would then click the Select/Ok button on the remote to choose Off.

The Recently Viewed menu will only display titles that have been tuned to for more than 

5 seconds, no need to be concerned that objectionable content/titles will be displayed through channel surfing. You can also set up blocks though the parental controls if this is of concern for you. 

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
^TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Newcomer

[ Edited ]

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE AN OPTION TO HAVE THE GUIDE (ON THE LEFT OF SCREEN) OPTIONAL AT STARTUP, I WILL BE SWITCHING TO ANOTHER PROVIDER.....ADD THE OPTION TO SETTINGS NOW

Newcomer

I do not like the new upgrade, it is not user friendly.  Please change it back.  I find TWC equipment to be full of bugs and too complicated.  I've had to change my DVR box at least five times and within a few months the new box developes problems.  I never had problems when I had a satellite dish.