Highlighted
Newcomer

Worthless refurbished cable boxes

Since my cable bill for two DVR boxes and a crappy modem was $174 a month I downgraded to high def cable box in an attempt to save money.  The downgrade saved me a few bucks but within two hours of watching cable the screen digitized and froze for 30 seconds or so.  This continued for the duration of the hour long show I was trying to watch.  Why? I didn't have these problems with the DVR boxes.  Why are the high def cable boxes crap? Do you really fix anything when you "refurbish" these boxes?

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Worthless refurbished cable boxes

Are you a spectrum or a TWC customer? Spectrum is using new boxes supposedly

Whas the splitter removed when you got rid of the second box?

If not, that's the probable issue, you can't have open ports.

Newcomer

I am a twc customer.  I have no splitter.  Each cable box has its own direct cable line.   No open ports to be open.

Expert

Ok, so you replaced 2 dvr's with 2 boxes, correct?

Yeah, if you're legacy twc, they won't give you Spectrum boxes in a lot of areas.

But I think you have a signal level issue, especially if both boxes do the same thing.

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages from 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

let's see what it looks like there.

Spectrum Employee

Pixelation, especially if BOTH boxes are doing it, is likely one of two things:

1. weak Rx/receive/forward/downstream signal power

-- and/or --

2. poor quality of the signal.

Spoiler
Possibly caused by ingress or low MER (modulation error ratio) leading to BER (bit error ratio) issues that cause "errored seconds".  Errored seconds will be pixelation on digital TV.  "Severely errored seconds" result in the video feed pausing/freezing.

Pixelation isn't going to be caused by the box itself.  Take my word on it.  You are frustrated at wrong thing.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

agentx5 wrote:

Pixelation, especially if BOTH boxes are doing it, is likely one of two things:

1. weak Rx/receive/forward/downstream signal power

-- and/or --

2. poor quality of the signal.

Spoiler
Possibly caused by ingress or low MER (modulation error ratio) leading to BER (bit error ratio) issues that cause "errored seconds".  Errored seconds will be pixelation on digital TV.  "Severely errored seconds" result in the video feed pausing/freezing.

Pixelation isn't going to be caused by the box itself.  Take my word on it.  You are frustrated at wrong thing.

Agree with Agent,

You do not have a box problem.  What you need to do is contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line evaluation.  The tech should also check the main junction box on the street.  Please have Spectrum Specify this in the work order.  Signal problems are almost never a box issue.

Spectrum can be contacted in several ways to fix this:

1.) Call Customer Care.

2.) Get a Twitter Account or log in and Follow the "@Ask_Spectrum" account.  (You must Follow the page to send PM's.)

3.) Contact the Direct Forum Help Team at this forum.

Using methods #2 and #3 will need you to provide some account information:

• Name on account
  • Address
  • City/State
  • Phone#
  • Account #
  • Description of problem/request. 

Mention the pixilation problems, that you need a signal and drop-line test and also a street junction box check.

Satch