Newcomer

University Commons cable problems

We have experienced problems with our cable pixelating and breaking up for over a month. I have called TWC numerous times. TWC tech personnel have rebooted my cable box numerous times. Last night I called again. At first they blamed our problems on the weather. When I said they had all day to get weather issues corrected the TWC tech said the weather problems had been corrected. Then my picture pixelated again. The TWC tech rebooted my box again. I turned the TV back on and the TWC tech tried to get me to say the problem was fixed. While still speaking my TV picture pixelated again. The TWC tech tried to tell me a Technician needed to come out to see if my TV that has worked great for years was connected correctly. I became frustrated and hung up. Why can't anyone acknowledge that the crew installing ATT fiber optic cables has damaged the TWC cables and TWC is replacing the damaged cable? I know that neighbors are having the same problems. I find it hard to believe that no one is trying to fix the actual problem.
2 REPLIES
Expert

Re: University Commons cable problems

I doubt anything you were told is true.  Simply refusing to send a tech, if another contractor damaged cables, many houses would not work.

copy and paste the modems signal level and log pages, DO NOT RESET THE MODEM,need to see actual history. It's got a decent log, the cable boxes don't

Spectrum Employee

Re: University Commons cable problems

[ Edited ]

@MsRayewrote:

@mikjepwrote:

We have experienced problems with our cable pixelating and breaking up for over a month. I have called TWC numerous times. TWC tech personnel have rebooted my cable box numerous times. Last night I called again. At first they blamed our problems on the weather. When I said they had all day to get weather issues corrected the TWC tech said the weather problems had been corrected. Then my picture pixelated again. The TWC tech rebooted my box again. I turned the TV back on and the TWC tech tried to get me to say the problem was fixed. While still speaking my TV picture pixelated again. The TWC tech tried to tell me a Technician needed to come out to see if my TV that has worked great for years was connected correctly. I became frustrated and hung up. Why can't anyone acknowledge that the crew installing ATT fiber optic cables has damaged the TWC cables and TWC is replacing the damaged cable? I know that neighbors are having the same problems. I find it hard to believe that no one is trying to fix the actual problem.

I doubt anything you were told is true.  Simply refusing to send a tech, if another contractor damaged cables, many houses would not work.

copy and paste the modems signal level and log pages, DO NOT RESET THE MODEM,need to see actual history. It's got a decent log, the cable boxes don't

That's not a good assumption @MsRaye.  It can depend if they are EoL (end of line) or not, if they are the last utility tap on the line.

Spoiler

AT&T in my city has caused many issues with their contractors that the mayor of my city allowed AT&T to hire exclusively (in order words, since they are only getting payment from AT&T directly, they couldn't give a **bleep** about anybody else's wiring).  They've caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages to both the local power & gas company as well as our RF plant.  Thankfully they haven't hit fiber optic lines.

In one neighborhood, AT&T contractors installing fiber for a middleschool hit the power company's gas line and the entire neighborhood evacuated.  In this particular neighborhood I found a tap that had been bent upside down intentionally by the AT&T contractor (as in the customer saw them do it and they were confronted by the customer).  In this particular case only two customers were out (the one I visited and the neighbor, who was away on vacation).  So the CSR's call center (what you are calling "techs" here are not techs) had no clue, it wasn't an outage because only two customers looked like they were offline, which isn't an outage per definition.

So to that end, a few things for you, @mikjep :

1.  What make you say this?
"Why can't anyone acknowledge that the crew installing ATT fiber optic cables has damaged the TWC cables and TWC is replacing the damaged cable?"

How did you know what was damaged?  Did you witness AT&T do it?  Did somebody tell you this, if so who?

2.  In general the CSR agents in the Care Departments (phone support, chat support, Tier3, NHD, etc) doesn't know this specific detailed level of infomation about the physical plant, it's up to Technical Operations (tech ops).  What you care calling "techs" is confusing to me because the terminology of a field/maintenance/hub tech and a CSR agent are two entirely different things...
And to that, let me ask it point-blank:
Have you not yet scheduled a field tech to come out on-site, in-person?

This seems like a basic troublecall for a pixilation video quality issue.  I don't understand why all the confusion and apparent miscommunication going on... I don't suppose it really matters either.  It's a truck roll (troublecall to use the jargon) either way.

3.  Would you mind sharing a HFC MAC off the box in question with me here?

Spoiler
I may be able to give you some specifics as to why it is pixilating based on the MAC
(it's useless information unless you work for the provider, which I do).  I won't be back for several hours, but I'll look at this topic later to see if you replied. Smiley Happy

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.