Rookie

Set top box

After 1 year of giving Frontier a chance to get it together I just switched to TWC aka Spectrum. I do have to admit that the original Verizon Fios layout and format was great. My new service is a bit difficult to navigate but does have more positives than negatives.  The newest STB box from Spectrum (Arris) does NOT have a setting for 1080p. There is a noticeable differance in picture quality as the 1080i picture is not as vibrant.  I understand therenis a new updated box called "the happy box" which has a setting for 1080p . Does anyone know when this will be available???

4 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Set top box

TWC doesn't transmit 1080p so the setting on the box is disabled.

Rookie

I was told a new set top box is available for L A and San Diego that has just become available in those areas. I just had SPECTRUM installed after getting rid of Frontier. I have the highest package and there is a noticeable difference in 1080p quality. I was told by both my installer and the service rep at the T W store to keep checking with them. I sincerely hope this box is available. When you pay top dollar each month this should not be an option. It should be standard equipment. I have 30 days to evaluate this service and if this box is not available I may switch back!
Participant

A new 1080P tv actually takes the 1080I signal and processes as 1080P  so really it's exactly the same resolution. 

When your TV is sent a 1080i signal, however, a different process occurs: deinterlacing. This is when the TV combines the two fields into frames. If it's done right, the TV repeats each full frame to create 60 "fps" from the original 30.

Participant

Beyond that:

While 1080i and 1080p have the same number of pixels, they do have different frame rates (and one is interlaced). The reality is, other than PC games, there isn't any commercially available "real" 1080p content. It's either 1080i content deinterlaced by your TV, 1080p/24 content from Blu-ray, or upconverted content from console games.

They don't have any 1080P content to actually give you.