Newcomer

Screen goes purple and cable cuts out since new box

Since I installed the new cable box, my service has been spotty at best.  The picture goes to a lavendar color and all sound cuts out.  It doesn't matter what channel I am trying to watch, and once it happens, I cannot change channels or access the guide at all.  I have contacted support a number of times.  Every time, they simply tell me to reset the box.  When the picture reappears, they say it is fixed, but sooner or later, the same thing happens again.  It is happening multiple times per day!  The tech that I spoke with when I called said that there was a signal code issue and said that he had fixed it.  The live chat agents have said the same thing and "fixed" it each time, assuring me that I will have no further issue.  Last night, one the second attempt with a chat agent, I was told that the issue was because I had the box plugged into a surge protector. I plugged it directly into the wall, he reset the "signal code" and all was to be well.  Until I turned it on tonight and have experienced the same issues. I reset the box again, but am still experiencing issues.  I never had any problem with TWC.  So far I'm not impressed with Spectrum and am looking into other local options that will allow me to have uninterrupted service without having to constantly resent the box or spend hours communicating with support.

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Screen goes purple and cable cuts out since new box

Copy and paste your modems signal level and error log pages and where it is splitter wise in relation to the cable box.

Then list the cable boxes IB and OOB levels. To accesss, hold in the select button for 10 seconds then hit the up arrow.    I'll bet the IB s/n is lower than 30 dB or the level is below -10 due to bad connections or too many splitters.. You are not speaking to any technicians at TWC, just someone ready off a computer prompt. NO signal level issues are repairable with out a tech coming out.

This is a min wage call center in the phillipines.

Newcomer

It doesn't involve the modem, and there is no splitter.  

Expert

If you have TWC/spectrum internet, there is a splitter and if there are open ports it will affect both cable boxes and modems... Need to see signal level s off a device.

The cable fairies aren't going to magicly repair this, lol/

Need to see the modems error log as well, If there's numerous errors a day, that indicates line issues that will aftect cable boxes/ dvr's which have no useable error logs in most of them, whereas the modems do.

Trusted Helper

MsRaye wrote:

If you have TWC/spectrum internet, there is a splitter and if there are open ports it will affect both cable boxes and modems... Need to see signal level s off a device.

The cable fairies aren't going to magicly repair this, lol/

Need to see the modems error log as well, If there's numerous errors a day, that indicates line issues that will aftect cable boxes/ dvr's which have no useable error logs in most of them, whereas the modems do.

Any agent that says "Plug your cable box directly into the wall instead of your surge protector" is clueless.  They have no idea what they are talking about.  Doing so would stop your protection in a storm or power spike.  Not recommended!

You need to set up a service call for a signal and drop line test.  Also have the tech check the junction box on your street and your cable connections to and from your TV.  Please specify this in the work order.

When you set up the service call, avoid resetting your boxes, modems, or routers for six hours before the tech comes.  Doing so will reset the error codes when the signal reading is done by the tech.  If your signals, drop, line, and connections are good, the tech will swap out the box.  A swapped box will not solve poor signals.  This is not solvable through the phone or chat.  You need a service call.

Satch

Expert

There are no issues with AC power surge protectors/ ups's  and should be used BUT...

Most F connector surge pass thru's are indeed bad and allowing massive ingress.

Only proper protection is one (or more)  grounding blocks properly installed and bonded to the electric ground wire at the meter per NEC code.. 

satch wrote:

Any agent that says "Plug your cable box directly into the wall instead of your surge protector" is clueless.  They have no idea what they are talking about.  Doing so would stop your protection in a storm or power spike.  Not recommended!

I need to see the modems log pages to see if it's catching the cable dropouts/ noise ingress.

Lead Moderator

Good morning.

We see this Purple/Lavender/Pink screen frequently it is due to bad HDMI cable or port. 

Are you using the same port on the TV you were with the last box? The same HDMI cable?

Are you able to test with an alternate cable or port on the TV? 

What issues had you had with the last box that lead to a swap?

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums