Rookie

Screen goes black very few minutes, then comes back

On DVR box, whether watching live tv or a recorded program, the screen will go black every couple of minutes.  It is only out for maybe 5 seconds, then sound comes back 1st, then screen.

Any thoughts - very frustrating...

3 REPLIES
Seasoned Contributor

Re: Screen goes black very few minutes, then comes back

I can see how annoying that must be.

What brand and model number is your DVR? If it’s an older model (e.g. Scientific Atlanta or Motorola), it could be the box failing.

If it’s a newer model (e.g. Samsung, Arris, or Cisco), it is more than likely a signal issue. In this case, keep your current box. Swapping out the box will not solve a bad signal.

I suggest checking the tightness/quality of the coax at the outlet or splitter feeding the DVR. If you have other TVs in the house, check those as well. Loose connectors and frayed cables will weaken your signal and cause this issue. If the indoor cabling is fine, I recommend that you call and ask for a tech to check your drop line (the cable running from the pole to your house), as well as corrosion in the tap up on the pole.

Do any of your neighbors has this problem? If so, chances are the junction box on your street may need to be updated as well.

If the issue requires a tech visit, specify that all of the above fixes be put in the work order.
Trusted Helper

Joey1986 wrote:
I can see how annoying that must be.

What brand and model number is your DVR? If it’s an older model (e.g. Scientific Atlanta or Motorola), it could be the box failing.

If it’s a newer model (e.g. Samsung, Arris, or Cisco), it is more than likely a signal issue. In this case, keep your current box. Swapping out the box will not solve a bad signal.

I suggest checking the tightness/quality of the coax at the outlet or splitter feeding the DVR. If you have other TVs in the house, check those as well. Loose connectors and frayed cables will weaken your signal and cause this issue. If the indoor cabling is fine, I recommend that you call and ask for a tech to check your drop line (the cable running from the pole to your house), as well as corrosion in the tap up on the pole.

Do any of your neighbors has this problem? If so, chances are the junction box on your street may need to be updated as well.

If the issue requires a tech visit, specify that all of the above fixes be put in the work order.

I agree,

If you call, you will need to specify a signal and drop line test,  It will be important for you to avoid rebooting your boxes, modems, or routers for six hours after you make the appointment.  Rebooting the equipment will reset the error codes and the tech needs to see those.  Also, if you have an HDMI cable, is it old.  You may want to purchase a new HDMI cable if that solves the problem.  Are your connections tight going to and from the box?

If your signals are good, your drop-line is good, and there is no corrosion on the pole, your box may need to be replaced.  If you can, try to get one of the newer models.  Arris, Cisco/Techicolor, or Samsung.  They are faster than the dinosaur SA boxes and have more DVR storage space.

Satch

Expert

copy and paste your modems signal level and error log pages and where it is splitter wise compared to the DVR.

Hold in the remotes select button for 10 seconds, hit the up arrow. What are the IB and OOB frequencies and levels on aflicted channels?

You may also have a bad HDMI cable or electrical ground loop issues or a loose/ corroded connector allowing broadcast TV, FM, business band radio ingress.

There cannot be open splitter ports and as few as possible, Usually 3 ways is it in many homes...