Rookie

Premium channels poor quality

Id like to know why the channels I pay a heafty price for (hbo, cinemax, showtime, starz, epix etc.) look worse than the channels that are essentially free in every package e.g. locals fox, nbc etc. 

The PQ I get from the local channels is beautiful, bright and sharp with little noise. The high priced channel are extremely noisy and often dark and lacking highlights with poor color definition.

How do I fix this other than changing providers?

8 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Premium channels poor quality

You have something connected wrong.... Sounds like the cable box is not connected to the TV by an HDMI cable.

Rookie

MsRaye wrote:

You have something connected wrong.... Sounds like the cable box is not connected to the TV by an HDMI cable.

Thanks for the reply however its not a connection issue, my cable box is connected with a high speed hdmi cable through an av receiver then through another high speed hdmi cable to the tv, If it were a connection problem then the picture would be bad on all channels. All of my other sources look perfect on this setup so my problem is with something in the cable path.

I have also tried a direct hdmi connection with several different hdmi cables to the tv to eleiminate the receiver as the problem.

Expert

what model is the cable box, something is wrong.

Are you getting local channels via an antenna?

Rookie

MsRaye wrote:

what model is the cable box, something is wrong.

Are you getting local channels via an antenna?

It is a cisco dvr, recently installed in December, whole house system.  I do use an antenna at times for some channels since the quality is unsurpassed by any provider, but my complaint for the purpose of this thread is for the cable versions of the network channels.

I will also add that the same crappy picture applies to my other STB TV in the house

Expert

Supposedly they weren't installing any more WHDVR's in October... Why do you think it's wholehouse?

Are playbacks as bad as live?

Do remote playbacks work and how's their quality?

Did TWC do the install and has it been bad since installed?

Where are you?

are you on a new Spectrum plan or an old TWC one?

Rookie

MsRaye wrote:

Supposedly they weren't installing any more WHDVR's in October... Why do you think it's wholehouse?

Are playbacks as bad as live?

Do remote playbacks work and how's their quality?

Did TWC do the install and has it been bad since installed?

Where are you?

are you on a new Spectrum plan or an old TWC one?

To be honest, I haven't used the whole house feature since it's been installed. It's not something I care about. This system was sold as an upgrade to my existing whole house system that I didn't use either.

I called TWC last November because the bill was getting too high and I was getting ready to make the switch to DTV but the agent I talked to upgraded both of my STB's and lowered my bill. This new DVR is supposed to have 7 tuners in it. 

I'm located in western NY near Rochester. 

The funny thing about this is that in early December (prior to this upgrade)  I started to notice an increase in PQ on some of my channels like the locals, HBO, and Epix but now its a mixed bag, sometime the picture is good and sometimes its crap. When I was talking to the twc install  tech, I mentioned the PQ had improved lately and asked why. His reply was that they were cleaning up noise on the network. I assumed that they were doing away with the analog channels and freeing up bandwidth for digital.

My viewing habits are exclusively the premium channels, all I watch is movies for the most part and football during the NFL season. PQ is very important to me on these channels since I pay a premium for them and watch them exclusively...

Rookie

I'm starting to notice a trend, today it is rainng and i'm seeing allot more noise than usual

Sharer

I'm starting to notice a trend, today it is rainng and i'm seeing allot more noise than usual

Ah, that's a very important clue.  A few possibilities come to mind:

1) Your cable connection at the pole may be corroded (a common problem), it's letting moisture in, which changes your signal profile.  If this is the case, a home tech can replace the end in about 5 minutes, and things may improve dramatically.

2) If your pole tap-off box has a "weather cover", the cover may be broken or split and it's gathering water.  A home tech might be able to address this issue, too.

3) Your incoming cable may be chewed (squirrels, usually, sometimes birds) or heavily abraded (a combination of wind movement and tree limbs), and that's letting the water into the cable.  In this case the cable would need to be replaced, which can be done by a home tech, but some of them try very hard to avoid doing this work.