Mo
Occasional Visitor
Mo

Pixelation

Anyone experiencing random pixelating with TV?
Please use plain text.
TWC-JordanH

Re: Pixelation

Sorry for service interruption. Can you please email our social media team at twcable.help@twcable.com with additional information so they can investigate further?

Thanks for participating in the forums!

Please use plain text.
joliett

I have the same thing...pixelation than the channel and many other channels too just go blank or the banner says not available.  Service techs have been here at least 5 times.  Nothing they do works...including changing the box, splitters, even my cable drop off the pole...but nothing fixes the problem.

I then have to reboot and WAIT, and WAIT, and WAIT, and WAIT.

Please use plain text.
RJM
RJM

Yes.  New service only two weeks old.  Random, but frequent, pixelation (and/or tearing or tiling) occurs on many different HD channels.  Don't watch analog, so not sure about that.  Also, occasional audio drop-out = a few seconds of sound, then a few seconds of silence, regardless of channel.

Frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Satch

[ Edited ]

For anyone with picture pixelation issues where you have rebooted the box and followed all the scripted CSR stuff, but the issue comes back, I always recommend at least the first two of the following four steps:

1.) Try a different HDMI cable, or new set of Component Cables.  With the box TV/box off.  Unplug the box.  Connect new HDMI cable or Component Cable to your TV. Allow the box to reboot. Check your Display and Audio settings to match with your cable configuration.  Watch for pixelation issues over the next few days.  If pixelationcomes back:

2.) Get a tech out to your place.  Have them test your signals on the channels that are bad.  Also ask them to replace the cable drop line, especially if this has not been done in the last five years.  Weathering, animal chews, issues of this type can cause signal problems.

3.) If the line drop has been replaced and the problem persists, note that splitters can cause problems with the signals and if this is applicable to a customer's situation, should not be used.  You want a direct connection.   A lot of times, old cables, old wiring, and splitters can be a major source of problems.  You may also want to ask the tech about installing a signal amplifier on the line.

4.)  If you are tech savvy, or can find someone who is, you can go to your TV's website if you know the make and model for your TV and get the latest software updates for your TV.  You can download them to a Flash Drive, plug the flash-drive into the USB port on your TV and this will update your TV's firmware.  Be sure to print out the instructions on how to do this and read them fist.  If it were me, I would do the first three steps above, first.

Satch

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jal1199

I've had this problem off and on for several months. I've had techs out who checked all connections, ran a new drop from the telephpone pole into the house. The twechs tell me this is a known problem with certain channels; for me it was TNT, NBC, ABC. I suffered through the entire NBA playoffs on TNT with extreme pixellation, audio garbage, screen freezing and starting up again (long after the action.) For me it happened mostly at night. The last time I called for service, May of this year, the tech told me Time Warner was aware of this problem and was working on it. Well, it's July, and I'm still having the issues. It even happened a few nights ago on on the Movies on Demand channel. The movie was freezing with the usual sound garbage and about 15 minutes into the movie, the screen froze for about 20 seconds, and then I was booted back to the "Restart from beginning" screen. This is really irritatiing, especially when I look at what I'm paying for service. I think this problem occurs on standard def. channels too, but I mostly see it with the HD channels. I suppose I'll call for service again and make sure about the signal levels, and ask about an amplifier.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Satch

jal1199 wrote:

I've had this problem off and on for several months. I've had techs out who checked all connections, ran a new drop from the telephpone pole into the house. The twechs tell me this is a known problem with certain channels; for me it was TNT, NBC, ABC. I suffered through the entire NBA playoffs on TNT with extreme pixellation, audio garbage, screen freezing and starting up again (long after the action.) For me it happened mostly at night. The last time I called for service, May of this year, the tech told me Time Warner was aware of this problem and was working on it. Well, it's July, and I'm still having the issues. It even happened a few nights ago on on the Movies on Demand channel. The movie was freezing with the usual sound garbage and about 15 minutes into the movie, the screen froze for about 20 seconds, and then I was booted back to the "Restart from beginning" screen. This is really irritatiing, especially when I look at what I'm paying for service. I think this problem occurs on standard def. channels too, but I mostly see it with the HD channels. I suppose I'll call for service again and make sure about the signal levels, and ask about an amplifier.

What's up?

We had an issue with about five channels that would pixelate go out for 3-4 days, come back go out.  It was always those same channels. We had a new drop line and signal tests done.  The issue went away for awhile and than came back.  I assume you have an HDTV

The solution was to get a new HDMI cable.  We hooked that up and the problem has not returned since.  A tip would be to get a new HDMI cable.  (Or get new Component Cables if you use those instead.) with the TV off and the box unplug, connect the new cables, and allow the system to reboot.  For us, this is what made the difference in solving this problem.

Satch

Please use plain text.
Jonwinstead

We have issues with channels 1105 and 1150, they share the same frequency. I was told by the tech today that my Verizon 4G pones was causing the issues. Sure enough when I put my phone in airplane mode the pixelation stopped. When I open an app or check email the problems start back. Very frustrating.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stinman

I have been experiencing audio drop outs, then pixelation, sometimes freezing. It is with SyFy, AMC and couple other channels. Now SyFy never did this in all my time with Insight and or at this place I live except only in last few weeks lately. AMC did it once in awhile but no more than all channels do it ever now and again. Last 2 or 3 weeks it's been a real issue. I had a tech guy come out right before or during the transition of Insight to TWC.

I'm tech savoy in equipment, computers, Networking, AV hook ups etc... 

As far as the hdmi cable goes, if a cheap cable was bought to start with then I can agree it might degrade and give trouble. As long as you have a good quality cable, it's not being bent in the back of your entertainment center, cat chewed on it, vacumm cleaner ate it, kid cut with a axe etc... (ha ha)  It should not degrade given your house is not to damp with humidity and stuff. I personally have good hdmi 1.4 cables 6ft 28 AWG High Speed with ARC and ferrite cores that goes from Motorola 1614 Dual Dvr to Samsung 6400 series Smart HDTV, I use optical out for audio instead of the arc, as well as a 6ft 24AWG with net jacket that goes from Onkyo TX-NR 818 AV Receiver to HDTV. I have only 1 splitter and have to for internet. New cables in the apt.

I just wanted to let it be know that the hdmi cable is not the problem. I did have my box switched out about a month ago,it smelled like it was burning up inside, tech guy said the up stream should be at 35 and my old box was at 51. This I'm not in tune with, I don't know about the set top boxes by motorola. This problem is not all the time, it is in the morning and at prime time. Biggest problem is getting it to do this when the tech guy comes. He did say that the wiring coming from the cable box on side of apt, to the apt was an older kind (white) that was not cut out for HD channels and my high speed 50.0 internet, but it has worked for at least since 2008 and I got 50.0 as soon as it was offered, so... not to sure about the "white" cable wire but I don't know.

I to spend a nice chunk of money each month to have to watch my favorite channels and shows at around 8:00 pm to 10:00pm EST with drop outs and pixelation every 3 or 4 min and then do it again a half hour or so later throught the whole couple hours.The guy said he would put a work order in butsaid "who knows if they will do it." Please tell me my options, I could drop cable but never my fast internet!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stinman

that's interesting? What frequency would that be? also what channels are they? my area uses the 900's for HD channels. I ask wondering about my galaxy S3. Thing is, is your cable box going wireless to your HDTV? That don't make sense from just reading your post, but your post is vague, what cable box, what HDTV, is it hooked up with hdmi, component, etc... Because that's really weird, I know phones can mess with routers, that's why they make the 5GHz ones as to not mess with the 3.5 GHz signals, again that's wireless.
Please use plain text.