Rookie

Pixelation of multiple channels

We have a recurring problem of the TV stream either freezing or pixelating.  We use digtal boxes provided by Spectrum.  Customer service unavailable.  Recording says next available call back is next Monday 4/16/18!    Total fail.

8 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Pixelation of multiple channels

Do you also have Spectrum internet? If so, do you have slow downs and/or dropouts? 

You likely have a coax issue...maybe a loose connection or corroded, chewed up, or water-logged coax anywhere between your set top box back to the main line. Make sure all connections are tight, even behind the wall plates. 

Newcomer

I have pixelation/tiling issues as well. Used the chat function, and was told, there was an issue in Powell, OH.

Spectrum Employee

Hello djysrv, If you could, go into the SETTINGS menu on one of the boxes, press the Left Arrow key and select the Diagnostics page. Are you seeing anything on that page that states anything like Inbound Errors, Corrected or Uncorrected Errors when on the channel when pixelating? If so, then you most likely have a signal issue that will need to be addressed by a technician or maintenance technician. This could be a local issue at your individual home, or a plant issue and widespread. The only way to know is with a visit. Though I do see you said that the next available appointments would not be until next week. I would suggest calling back in to verify, and speaking with an agent again, and checking if there have been any cancellations in your area that would free up availability for a technician.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Spectrum Employee

Hello there,

That callback time doesn't seem right. TV repair just may have had a high call volume the time you were calling in, but I would try again.  But you came to the forum for some help, so here is some.  Going off what the others mentioned.  Pixelation is caused by a signal degradation or interference.  Sometimes, if its minor, it can be fixed by you. If you have a lose connection, it can allow the signal from radiowaves(TV) to go into your line and interfere. 

Since we are coming out of a cold season, and then its been getting warm and wet, and then cold again for most, these temps make metal expand and contract.   This can make those coax fittings work their way off, espically if they were just put on with fingertips.  Grab a wrench, and make sure they are just tigher than finger tight. It's not a lug nut! So don't overtighten. Do this on the back of the cable box, outlet, main splitter, other splitters if you have them, and the main line(drop).  If don't know where any of this is, then its best to have them get you a home visit.  But sometimes, in certain cases, a little mainentence does take care of some signal issues.

You didn't mention if you had internet service. I hope you do, because..... If you are missing your programs while you are awaiting help. I wanted to mention watch.spectrum.net and the Spectrum TV app.  This way you use your internet connection to watch your programs while the Digital Cable TV side is awaiting repair.  It does have to be connected to your home internet for the full lineup. 

Hope these tips help.  If you have taken any steps to remedy, other than the attempt at calling, let us know.  if you have missed some of your shows, check out the on demand to see if they are there to get caught up.  

Ry

Observer

I am in New York, and I am having the same issue. No freezing, but pixelation on some, not all stations. Dont think its a coax issue. 

JJK
Trusted Helper

Pixilatiion problems, Picture Break-Ups and/or On Demand not Working?

This is almost never a box issue and is almost always a signal or drop line issue that requires a tech visit.  Here's what to do:

• If the problem has not gone away after 24 hours, check to make sure that your cable wiring connections are tight.
  • Assess any other drop outs in Spectrum services that you have, such as Internet and/or phone.  If you are getting these drop-outs it is even further evidence of a signal problem.
  • Contact Spectrum for a truck roll and request a signal and drop line test.
  • Avoid resetting any boxes, modems, or routers for at least six hours prior to your service appointment,  Doing so resets the error codes, to zero and the tech needs to see these error codes.
  • Tune to any channels that are pixilated when the tech is there so that he can take a signal reading.

Satch

Established Sharer

@JKellywrote:

I am in New York, and I am having the same issue. No freezing, but pixelation on some, not all stations. Dont think its a coax issue. 

Knowing the weather you've had in The Big Apple for the last six weeks, might I ask why you think that it wouldn't affect your local cable system?  So what DO your local experts think is the cause of your problem?

Trusted Helper

@Satchwrote:

Pixilatiion problems, Picture Break-Ups and/or On Demand not Working?

This is almost never a box issue and is almost always a signal or drop line issue that requires a tech visit.  Here's what to do:

• If the problem has not gone away after 24 hours, check to make sure that your cable wiring connections are tight.
  • Assess any other drop outs in Spectrum services that you have, such as Internet and/or phone.  If you are getting these drop-outs it is even further evidence of a signal problem.
  • Contact Spectrum for a truck roll and request a signal and drop line test.
  • Avoid resetting any boxes, modems, or routers for at least six hours prior to your service appointment,  Doing so resets the error codes, to zero and the tech needs to see these error codes.
  • Tune to any channels that are pixilated when the tech is there so that he can take a signal reading.

Satch

Yes,

Bad weather is a majpr issue that can affect all cable services.  If your problems remain after 24 hours, follow the above instructions and schedule a tech visit.

Satch