NHL Center Ice Quality

About a month ago, the quality of the NHL Center Ice broadcasts became incredibly poor.  The motion blur is horrible for most (but not all) games.   I know it is not my TV, because hockey broadcasts outside of Center Ice are perfect.  They are doing something with the transmissions to save money,  but Spectrum claims nothing is wrong.

Anybody else notice this or have solutions?  Thanks

5 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: NHL Center Ice Quality

abnerkravitz wrote:

About a month ago, the quality of the NHL Center Ice broadcasts became incredibly poor.  The motion blur is horrible for most (but not all) games.   I know it is not my TV, because hockey broadcasts outside of Center Ice are perfect.  They are doing something with the transmissions to save money,  but Spectrum claims nothing is wrong.

Anybody else notice this or have solutions?  Thanks

It's all about bandwidth allocation.  Every program that is sent down the coaxial cable must compete with every other program, plus the space reserved for internet services.  This is why analog signals went away, and Switched-Digital-Video is coming in to play now.

Next season, I recommend that you keep Spectrum for Internet, and subscribe to NHL.tv instead of Center Ice, and watch out-of-market games on a Roku or some other device you can direct-connect to your television.

NHL.tv HD feeds are perfect (assuming your internet connection and home LAN is good).

Thanks,  I will most probably take your advice.

Rookie

Yes yes. I have been calling spectrum and trying to figure out what’s wrong. Yesterday the tech came to my home and check all connections and signal levels from the road all the way in to my TVs. All checked out. He said it’s nothing from their end. 

Also antoher person in my office is having the same issues. Let’s keep on calling and pursuing this. Something has changed for sure. 

I have called Spectrum a few times to no avail.  They claim ignorance of the problem,  which I of course find hard to believe.  I do know, though, that some FIOS customers have complained about exactly the same thing.

I am done with Center Ice after this year - I will try NHL-TV next year.

Thankfully the playoffs are not on Center Ice.

Yes, I purchased a brand new Samsung q8c 75” and have been flipping out because I watch a lot of hockey and I have Center Ice. I have thought from the beginning it was my new TV and I have been over everything on my wires, settings and components including going through the hassle with Samsung support. I was very close to removing the TV and going through the inconvenience of returning the TV until I came over his thread, thank god. You saved me a hassle. As for TWC/Spectrum, I have said it before and I will say it again, they are the scummiest most awlful Company in existence. Hope it’s fixed soon.