Browser

Major DVR glitches past few weeks

HI.  Have had Time-Warner/Oceanic for 15 yrs, and now Spectrum for a few months.  The past month I have: 1.  Had numerous DVD recordings which either did not record, 2.  Said "NOT AVAILABLE" when attempting to view (even though it was there on the list and recorded- sometimes went out and back in, sometimes reboot), and yesterday the final straw: When speeding up a 4 hour baseball game to watch the ending,  every time I hit PLAY it would back up a few hours and never let me view it except at high speed, or having to watch the entire 4 hour show to get to the ending.  These are unacceptable glitches.  I've had 2 repair guys over related to this and signal issues-  they said it was not relateed to my Samsung Cable/DVD boxes, but some sort of general Spectrum issue.  Please provide information.

9 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Major DVD glitches past few weeks

I assume you mean "DVR"?  Barring a bad cable box, it sounds like you have signal issues.  Did the techs test your signal levels or replace any lines/splitters/ amps?

Expert

You mean DVR's not dvd's..

You have a signal issue, either from broadcast TV, cell phones, commercial radios and that is due to intermittent/ corroded/ loose coaxial connections and is a TWC Spectrum issue and usually outside your house if everything insode is shiny and tight and there's no open splitter ports

Whats the signal and error log page on your modem look like?

Browser

Yes DVR. They said the signal was fine. I have the new Samsung Box. They specifically said that they noticed it themselves at home with the DVR at times.
Browser

I can't address the signal and error log.  If you advise me how I will.  The cable tech said the signal was good, no connection issues.  He said he didn't see any error messages. He said it was probably software.   With regard to 2 of the problems (trying to watch a recorded show and it says "NOT AVAILABLE" rebooting allowed viewing.   Same when I was watching the 4 hour sports show and no matter how many times I fast forwarded it, as soon as I hit play it would go back a few hours and start playing).  These are glitches that resolve with rebooting.  These are software to me.

Established Sharer

It sounds to me like the tech had no idea what the problem is and just wanted to get out of there and on to his next appointment as fast as possible.

Browser

Well, normally I would agree with you here.  However, they really confirmed that signal was fine, and all was working.    We even discussed just changing out the box, and he said this was not uncommon, was software related,  and it would not help.   He was in no rush at all, unlike usual situation. 

Trusted Helper

Pixelation wrote:

Well, normally I would agree with you here.  However, they really confirmed that signal was fine, and all was working.    We even discussed just changing out the box, and he said this was not uncommon, was software related,  and it would not help.   He was in no rush at all, unlike usual situation. 

IF the signals, drop line, and tap are good, and the box hardware is OK, it sounds like a software glitch.  What is the latest build for The Guide. a.k.a Navigator 8.0.  Sounds like Spectrum/Oceanic (The Hawaii division) may need to update.

Did you send feedback to Oceanic on this issue, and also mention that the tech said signals were fine?

Satch

Established Sharer

For a very brief time (a couple of weeks) I had a Samsung box that I hated. It wasn't a DVR but it was slow, rebooted a few times, and I had to point the remote directly at the sensor at a very precise angle for it to read.  Hated every second of it. 

Expert

look at your modems signal and event logs. They're at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1