Rookie

MSNBC Quality comes and goes

I’ve seen this in other posts and all the responses of what to do or what it might be and not of these make sense. I watch msnbc a lot these days and it will at times, like just now for ten minutes, the picture starts to flicker and the sound come and go. Usually it’s so bad I can’t watch and it doesn’t stop for I don’t know how long, I go do something else it’s so long. It happens on both my TVs with two separate boxes not connected in any way. It happens only on this station, no other, so it’s got to be coming from the source. Oh and here we go again. It was good for 5 min and now it’s unwatchable, when 2 min ago it was fine. What is the problem cause I pay too much for this stuff to have problems like this.
3 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: MSNBC Quality comes and goes

FYI, I got on the app on my phone for msnbc, it worked fine. I brought up the spectrum app, that worked fine, but now the tv channel is blank, black, no pic, no sound.
Trusted Helper

@lauriepass wrote:
I’ve seen this in other posts and all the responses of what to do or what it might be and not of these make sense. I watch msnbc a lot these days and it will at times, like just now for ten minutes, the picture starts to flicker and the sound come and go. Usually it’s so bad I can’t watch and it doesn’t stop for I don’t know how long, I go do something else it’s so long. It happens on both my TVs with two separate boxes not connected in any way. It happens only on this station, no other, so it’s got to be coming from the source. Oh and here we go again. It was good for 5 min and now it’s unwatchable, when 2 min ago it was fine. What is the problem cause I pay too much for this stuff to have problems like this.

There's one of two things that could be happening:

Sunspot activity:  In the Spring and early Fall each year for about a week in the afternoons there will be instances where the sun's path gets in the way of a station's satellite signal.  Picture and sound go out for about 10-15 minutes around the same time for about a week.

Different stations will be affected at different times.  Cable, dish, and U-Verse all have to deal with this.  Nothing the subscriber can do but the problem does not last long.

A bad signal or line drop:  This can often happen on one or a few stations when everything else is fine.  Splitters can also disrupt picture quality so make sure you don't have that.  Corroded wiring, inside and outside the home.  This can start with just one station and spread.

My recommendation would be to schedule a signal and drop line check by dispatching a tech.  Especially if this is in the evening when sunspot activity would not be a factor.  This has nothing to do with your box.  But you would need to call Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.

To prepare on your end, you should avoid rebooting any equipment for six hours prior to your service call to avoid a reset of the signal error codes, so that the tech gets an accurate reading on his signal meter.  Than, you should tune to MSNBC when the tech comes so that he can take a signal reading.  That's the best way to get to the source of this problem.  I would schedule this service call, following the above recommendations if you feel this is not a sunspot issue.

Satch

Helper

Agreed that this is a signal issue. Sometimes the problem only presents itself on a handful of channels. I, for example, have this same issue to a lesser degree that only presents on ESPN.