Observer

Kansas City - Channel 551 - Pixelation, stuttering on Showtime Channel 551

Showtime channel 551 has pixelation, stuttering and a worthless picture.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Yes, I've rebooted and it doesn't help.

5 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Kansas City - Channel 551 - Pixelation, stuttering on Showtime Channel 551

Hi there,

What Brand/Model of box do you have? 

Alongside that, press "Settings" then "Left Arrow" and select "Box Diagnostics".

Are there any signal errors, usually bright red or Corrected/Uncorrected errors in the diagnostic?

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Spectrum Employee

Is is all channels, a few channels, or just that one?

If it's all channels, then it's mostly likely a signal power level or ingress issue.  Field tech appointment to repair existing services (which we call a TC, troublecall), ASAP when you have time for an appointment (and please be aware, while it could only be 30 to 1 hr, it could also be 2 or 3 hours depending on what needs fixing).  Reason code for TC should be  Picture Quality

If it's a few channels or one channel, then it's most likely a maintenance and/or hub issue. (can see if you next door neighbors have the same issue)  We have Slingboxes in each hub in the city I work in specifically to verify issues like that.  As a customer, this should start with a troublecall and a ticket (I can't same the name of the ticking system per the forum moderators, but all such tickets start with TRB followed by some number).  Have a Tier1 lead/supervisor help you get a "single-user" ticket entered.  The local ACOE-Ops department for your area will want to get with a tech.  Tech's can stay long at a job they can't do much to correct, logistics has other jobs waiting for them; so the best practice should be to get a ticket created at the same time as the troublecall.  Makes it easier & faster on everyone; as they'll then update the ticket based on the findings by the field tech on-site at the time of the appointment.  

In most cases we identify a single-frequency issue with a fiber-optic or satellite downlink "EIA channel" (not the same thing as the "display channel" # you see on your screen and make outage TRB tickets for it without our customers having to do anything.  We had an intermittent Get TV issue this week for example in our area, we were doing all this behind the scenes and most of our customer probably never even realized it.  Ideally that's they way it should be, but in reality some things can get missed, or maybe a specific On Demand episode or a specific neighborhood HFC node is having the issue only.  We rely on feedback from customers to identify those one-offs.  Customer's such as yourself @Gort  Smiley Happy

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Observer

-   SA 8300HD DVR

-   There are no signal errors.

-    The diagnostic has this:

Inband Errors-1 (Corr/Uncorr):   0/0

Inband Errors-2 (Corr/Uncorr):   0/0

Spectrum Employee

Well aside from being an older DVR, No Errors on either tuner is a good thing.

More than likely, this is an issue directly with Showtime then, and not specific to Spectrum. I'm checking here at home where I live and Showtime is also messing up (not in Kansas).

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Trusted Helper

Cxthulu wrote:

Well aside from being an older DVR, No Errors on either tuner is a good thing.

More than likely, this is an issue directly with Showtime then, and not specific to Spectrum. I'm checking here at home where I live and Showtime is also messing up (not in Kansas).

Rarely is pixilation a box issue,

This is a signal, drop-line, or splitter issue.  Splitters should be removed, they can reduce quality of signals by anywhere from 50-90%.  Call Spectrum to arrange for a signal and drop line test if this problem lasts for more than  24 hours.  Request in the work order that you need a signal and drop line test.  The junction box on your street may also need updating.

Tune to the problematic channel when the tech is there so he can take a signal reading.  Avoid resetting your cable box or modem for at least six hours before your service call appointment.  Doing so will clear the error codes that the tech needs to get a reading.

Keep us posted!

Satch