Rookie

Just switched to digital and now color is way off when I play a DVD

I have to go to my TV remote to picture settings and correct the color every time I play a DVD. Then I have to reset it back to watch TV.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Why is that?  What can be done?

6 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Just switched to digital and now color is way off when I play a DVD

@Meryton15wrote:

I have to go to my TV remote to picture settings and correct the color every time I play a DVD. Then I have to reset it back to watch TV.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Why is that?  What can be done?

Greetings,

What is the make and model of the DVD player?  Are you using HDMI or Component Cables?  I would suspect a settings conflict or a problem with the HDMI or Component Cable related to the hook up of the DVD player.  When you say "Switched to Digital." can you describe that process further?  Have you swapped cables or boxes in the recent past?

Satch

Established Sharer

"Normally" when you use HDMI cables to interconnect your video components, you should have the digital converter plugged into one HDMI port labeled "TV" and the video DVD player into a separate HDMI port tagged as "DVD".   Then you should be able to use the digital converter's remote to select the HDMI video source. 

If your existing TV receiver only has a single HDMI port you will have numerous problems switching between video sources, including color, picture resolution, and aspect ratios.  We can try to assist you in setting this up, but there's no guarantee, short of buying a new video receiver equipped with multiple HDMI ports.

Valued Participant

I have never heard of a problem such as you are having. Is the color normal and correct on your TV picture when you watch live TV? If  the colors are incorrect on live TV programs, the problem is likely with the TV station or network you are watching; in this event, there is nothing you can do to correct it short of waiting until the difficulty is corrected. If your picture is normal on live telecasts, the trouble is probably either the DVD player itself or the cable between it and your TV.

How are you resetting the color and tint controls on your TV?  if you are using an HDMI cable between your television and the DVD player, the color controls on the TV's main menu will be greyed out and cannot be changed. From the description you gave of your problem, I would suspect that you are using a composite video cable to connect the DVD player to the TV. The best connection for any DVD player to a TV is an HDMI cable; better yet, a high-speed HDMI cable. Composite cables will work, but they cannot  deliver the best image quality any good DVD player can provide.

I am not a Spectrum technician, nor am I in Spectrum's employ in any other capacity. The suggestions I gave in the previous paragraphs are simply common-sense things one would normally investigate before pinning the blame for the problem (this one or any other) on any one external device. 

Jeff

Fairport Harbor, Ohio 44077

@karlbeckmanwrote:

"Normally" when you use HDMI cables to interconnect your video components, you should have the digital converter plugged into one HDMI port labeled "TV" and the video DVD player into a separate HDMI port tagged as "DVD".   Then you should be able to use the digital converter's remote to select the HDMI video source. 

If your existing TV receiver only has a single HDMI port you will have numerous problems switching between video sources, including color, picture resolution, and aspect ratios.  We can try to assist you in setting this up, but there's no guarantee, short of buying a new video receiver equipped with multiple HDMI ports.

Helper

Just asking before you start replacing HDMI cables....If your tv is anything like mine the picture levels can be set for each input individually. It sounds like the default levels for each input got manually adjusted to an incorrect level and then saved that way at some point. When you manually adjust the color levels now does the tv give you the ability to save this as the new default?

Not applicable

You seem pretty knowledgable, so let this technical unsavy old lady ask you a couple of questions.

When some shows that I am watching are taking place in the evening, the picture is so dark that I can't see what is going on.  From what I've seen in the Spectrum Community, this cannot be remedied, correct?

I have an old tube television, a Spectrum receiver and an old DVD player.  They all connect using the red, white and yellow connection cables.  I cannot get my DVD player to operate and I've tried just about all wiring configurations possible.  Will my DVD player ever be able to work?  If I called a Spectrum Technician to come, could they correct the problem?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Karen From Cleveland

Helper

Spectrum will not touch your DVD player since it isn't their equipment. A tech might on his own but as a general rule, will not. When you say it doesn't work, do you mean it doesn't power on?

As far as the picture being dark when the scene takes place in the evening...it's possible the scene was filmed that way, especially movies, but maybe the blackness level or contrast can be adjusted to make the picture a little brighter.

The red, white, and yellow connectors are outdated and can't handle today's HD signals.