Observer

HD Channels on Spectrum App are SD on Set Top Box - TAKE 2

This was alread a topic in one of the frums but it was closed and I could not add any comments/questions.  It also did not indicate if there was a resolution.  It only described the issue and next steps to get support.

I have several channels that are SD on my Spectrum Receiver ( new model 210).  At the same time these channels are in HD on the Spectrum TV app so I know there is a HD feed available.  The specific example I am looking at is Disney JR.  I had a technician come out and no one can really explain it.  He said  I had a stronger than most signal. He even exchanged the new model 210 that was only installed 2 days earlier.  They also told me that the new 210 is suppose to display everything in HD. Now it clearly says the programming is SD in the info on the Guide on the box and in HD on the App info.  The technican left scratching his head with no reslution and no next steps to try and get a resolution.  It is clearly a broadcast issue.  Maybe restriced to the local node I am in but how do I raise enough of an issue that their engineers will look at the system to determine if something is set wrong. I had a competitor until 4 days ago and Disney Jr came in HD. I specificaly paid the extra monthly charge to get Silver so I could get Nick Jr (also coming in SD) and Disney Jr for my grandkids. I am now question why? It is difficult to watch with the screen shrunk down letterbox and low resolution.  I also cant believe a channel like Disney Jr is not repeated in the 900 range of channels along side the regular Disney Channel.  It works fine.

4 REPLIES
Helper

Re: HD Channels on Spectrum App are SD on Set Top Box - TAKE 2

The feed to the cable box and the feed to the app are totally separate. The app receives it's feed via iptv (just like Directv Now, Sling TV, Vue, etc.) but the box gets it's feed the old fashioned way and due to bandwidth restrictions, viewership numbers, etc. some channels are only offered in SD.

Highlighted
Observer

According to the customer service representative and the technician that came out the new 210 box is suppose to present all channels in HD.

Proven Sharer

@dgrinnan wrote:

According to the customer service representative and the technician that came out the new 210 box is suppose to present all channels in HD.

That should be true if you purchase the HD add-on in addition to your silver or gold channel lineup option. Then if you select a network program channel that is carried on both SD and HD channel numbers, your 210 set-top box should shift aurtomatically so that you view the HD program content on your screen.  

Observer

hing strange happened last night. I turned on Disney Jr and the p[icture was enlarged and filled the entire screen except a small bar accross the top and bottom and was a good quaility display.  I was concerned I had hit a buttom or something and set the picture to display stretched.  I switched to a channel that I knew was HD and it was displaying okay.  When I siwthced back to Disney Jr. it dsplayed full screen and then all of a sudden reverted back to the smaller letter box dsplay.  Nothing I tried returned it back to the larger better quility display. This confirms to me that somehting s not wring properly.  I don't buy this is normal.  When I had one of the previous model boxes it display even the SD channels full screen, not letter boxed.