Rookie

FOX Sports Ohio (FSO) - and other, DirectTV blows our TWC away..

Ive never been entirely impressed with the "HD" output from TWC, but even in the last month we got a new 4k tv and Fox Sports Ohio just comes across so poorly. At another house with DirectTV, they have a larger TV, (which can distort images even more) and the picture looked amazing from just a few feet away. TWC actually droppped a new line to our house about a week agi and verified the signal was 'good' but the HD on many different channels is far from impressive. Anyone else expericne this??

6 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: FOX Sports Ohio (FSO) - and other, DirectTV blows our TWC away..

In my experience, Directv usually has the better picture (only slightly) as long as the dish is aligned correctly and there are no obstructions. All in all, there are so many variables in play here to make a definitive assesment (number one being making the comparison with different model tvs with potentially different settings).

Expert

You'll only get true HD from antenna broadcasters and blu ray disks.

Directv/ dish is one step down and TWC is extremely poor with way too much compression.

They're trying to stick 4-10 HD channels in the space of one ATSC broadcast channel

This is most noticeable on live network sports

Rookie

obviously every TV can look different, no question, it just appears that the 'HD' content in general is far from impressive. Just curious if anyone has made a switch to one of the satellite providers with a "better"  experience...hard to find many that are truly sold on one provider.

Sharer

I've personally had Directv, Comcast, and TWC within the past 10 years (all with various tvs).  To me...Directv was a little better for sports (but barely noticable) and I really don't notice a difference in regular programming.  Like MsRaye said, I only really notice a big difference when watching blu-ray movies.

Boz
Sharer

reds91185 wrote:

I've personally had Directv, Comcast, and TWC within the past 10 years (all with various tvs).  To me...Directv was a little better for sports (but barely noticable) and I really don't notice a difference in regular programming.  Like MsRaye said, I only really notice a big difference when watching blu-ray movies.

How was service reliability with Directv?  Did weather have anything to do with service reliablilty?

Sharer

Boz wrote:

How was service reliability with Directv?  Did weather have anything to do with service reliablilty?

I had regular (short but annoying) interruptions during heavy rain or thunderstorms (I didn't live in an area with snow at the time so can't comment on that).  It was enough that I currently have TWC and not Directv service.