Newcomer

Black screen on some channels

Having problems with Discovery channel, sci-fi and sometimes history channels not seeing the channel. I can watch something that is on the demand of those channels but nothing on live programming. I have rebooted several times, what is up with it?

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Black screen on some channels

@robinc4959wrote:

Having problems with Discovery channel, sci-fi and sometimes history channels not seeing the channel. I can watch something that is on the demand of those channels but nothing on live programming. I have rebooted several times, what is up with it?

Hi Robin,

First thing to do is to make sure that all the cable connections are tight.  You have rebooted with the problem still occurring, so the next step is to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  Poor signals and a bad drop line are the main culprits of missing channels assuming that all connections inside are tight.

When you call to set up the signal and drop line test, you will need to avoid rebooting any boxes, modems or routers, for at least six hours prior to your service call.  Rebooting the box resets the error codes to zero and the tech needs to see those error codes.  A new or swapped box won't solve bad signal levels,  The tech will check the signal levels outside and inside the home.

When the tech comes, tune to the channels above so that he can take a signal reading on those stations.  The tech will should also check the outside line for erosion such as weathering and animal chews, which can be a major source of problems.

Set up a tech visit.

Satch

Established Sharer

Re: Black screen on some channels

@robinc4959wrote:

Spectrum is in the midst of a huge channel change, getting rid of their old analog SD channels and digitally encrypting the HD versions.  You might be keying in the old cancelled analog channel numbers which are now blank/black, while the network programs have moved to new HD channels above 1100. 

In my area (Great Lakes, aka North Central) our new all-digital assignments are:

Discovery Channel    24, 130    Discovery Channel HD    1130

History Channel    59, 135    History Channel HD   1135

Science Channel   132    Science Channel HD   1132

Chances are good that those channel numbers are assigned systemwide

We used to be TimeWarner Cable;  SciFi Network was not and still is not in our lineup.