Observer

Black Screen, TLC, National Geographic and Discovery Channel

For the past couple of weeks the following channels are just a black screen, TLC, National Geographic and Discovery Channel. I have contacted TWC/Spectrum numerous times, restarted box, had them check signal. Nothing has worked.

Has anyone else had this issue and tried something that actually worked?

About 3 months ago I had to change out my box, so it is a new box, the channels I mentioned did work.

Should I change out my box again?

Thanks for any suggestions because it is very frustrating.

6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Black Screen, TLC, National Geographic and Discovery Channel

Are these channels part of your subscription package? Are you able to view them on the app or on your computer? 

Observer

Yes they are part of my subscription package and able to view them on the app.

I have had my TWC account for over 10 years.

Thank you!

Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

DoyleNYC wrote:

For the past couple of weeks the following channels are just a black screen, TLC, National Geographic and Discovery Channel. I have contacted TWC/Spectrum numerous times, restarted box, had them check signal. Nothing has worked.

Has anyone else had this issue and tried something that actually worked?

About 3 months ago I had to change out my box, so it is a new box, the channels I mentioned did work.

Should I change out my box again?

Thanks for any suggestions because it is very frustrating.

This is not a box issue,

You have a signal problem who's resolution cannot be solved over the phone.  Rebooting will not fix this, or if it does, the problem will come back within days to a week.

You need a service call for Spectrum to do a signal and drop line test.  This requires a truck roll.  The tech also needs to check the junction box on your street.  Either the cable line, or junction box, or both needs to be checked by the technician.  A swapped box will not solve bad signal issues!  The tech will likely need to update some equipment on your street.  (The cable line and/or main junction box.)

You will also need to AVOID REBOOTING YOUR SET TOP BOX OR ANY MODEMS/ROUTERS FOR SIX HOURS BEFORE THE TECH COMES!  Rebooting of the equipment will cause the error codes to be reset, and you don't want that.  The tech needs to be on-site to read the error codes.

Meanwhile, when the tech is there,  tune to each channel with a blank screen so that he can get a signal reading.  Get the ticket #for this tech visit.

If the tech visit does not resolve this issue, I  would recommend PMing the excellent on-line Help team at this forum with your account information and the ticket number for the service call.  Say that this issue needs to be escalated to tier-3  technical support and remain in communication with them via PM until this issue is resolved.

Do not contact the Help team on this issue at the forum until the tech visit.  You will only need to contact the Help Team via PM if the tech visit does not solve anything or the problem returns after the tech visit.  Make sure you let the tech know this is not a box issue as you have had multiple box swaps that have not solved the problem.  My  many decades of cable experience says that this is not a box issue.

Satch

Observer

Thank you for the advice.

Expert

o to the blacked out ch.

Hold in the select button for 10 seconds then hit the up arrow.

What are the IB and OOB frequencies and levels?

Observer

Can't seem to access the IB and OOB frequencies and level by holding the Select Button for 10 seconds and hit the up arrow.