Newcomer

7 channels out on t.v.s without set top box

have had same set up for last 20 years ....3 t.v. s hooked to set top box via splitter and coax cable. within last 2 days, 7 channels (only) are "scrambled" and yes Fox is one of them. did a reboot of box to no avail...any thoughts as to why...thanks .

4 REPLIES
Boz
Sharer

Re: 7 channels out on t.v.s without set top box

[ Edited ]

WSLYH wrote:

have had same set up for last 20 years ....3 t.v. s hooked to set top box via splitter and coax cable. within last 2 days, 7 channels (only) are "scrambled" and yes Fox is one of them. did a reboot of box to no avail...any thoughts as to why...thanks .

Because eventually a set top box will be required by TWC/Comcast/Spectrum for every TV connected to their cable TV.  Originally digital adapters were allowed at a lower cost, but now not even digital adfapters are good enough.  The TWC TV app through Roku, some smart TVs, and a few other devices can be a substitute for a set top box.  This was supposed to be fully implemented in 2016, but I was recently told it would now happen in 2017.  Until then, I guess all I can say is enjoy the remaining channels on your naked cable TV connection while you can.

Trusted Helper

Boz wrote:

WSLYH wrote:

Because eventually a set top box will be required by TWC/Comcast/Spectrum for every TV connected to their cable TV.  Originally digital adapters were allowed at a lower cost, but now not even digital adfapters are good enough.  The TWC TV app through Roku, some smart TVs, and a few other devices can be a substitute for a set top box.  This was supposed to be fully implemented in 2016, but I was recently told it would now happen in 2017.  Until then, I guess all I can say is enjoy the remaining channels on your naked cable TV connection while you can.

Yes,

The tuning adaptors are being phased out by TWC-Spectrum with the move to all-digital technology.  You should contact TWC-Spectrum about getting a cable box.  Twenty years is a lifetime of difference with technology progression.  I would request a tech come out to install the new box.

Splitters should not be used unless there are no other options. They can reduce signal quality by anywhere from 50-90% causing picture pixilation, loss of signals on ANY services (Cable, Internet, and Phone.)  I would disconnect them.  Disconnect your splitters and have a tech come out to check your wiring to make sure that everything is OK.

Satch

Expert

[ Edited ]

Where are you?

Many areas are qam digital only, here in NEO we have 2 dozen analog channels left.

What you had for 5 year old analog NTSC cable will NO LONGER WORK on Qam digital, especially if theres more than 1 box , 1 modem and a simple 2 way splitter.

Any wired "structured" whole house hookups are pretty much junk if older than 10 years, hopefully the coax is good, seen lots crimped when stapled.

All analog channels are going away, you need cable boxes of some sort.

And QAM cable boxes need clean/proper signal levels to work.

Paste the signal level page from your TWC internet modem

Some sets have QAM tuners but they don't do encrypted.

Sharer

Yep, where I am they've fully migrated to all digital and without the set top box I get nothing but static.

There are options though. You can get a Cablecard instead and it's way cheaper than a box (if your TV has a Cablecard slot). You may not have access to On Demand or the on screen guide, which you don't have now anyway so it's a wash.