Newcomer

4k content

Is spectrum going to start offering 4k channels anytime soon?

4k is quickly becoming the standard as of this year, it would be nice to actually put my high end tv to use, even if it costs a little extra.
5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: 4k content

There's very little real 4k programming and if you bought a 4k set smaller than a 50+ inch one you were ripped off, there just aren't that many pixels on a small screen. Your only real source is bluRay players for now.

Cable and satellite are unable to deliver that high of a resolution on any sort of rapidly changing screen, like live sports , the quality is always better on an outside antenna.

Spectrum Employee

TWC/Spectrum currently offers content in 1080I MPEG2 encoded formats due to bandwidth requirements for 1080p or greater quality pictures. The compression needed to get these pictures down to a consistent bandwidth is currently unattainable in the current network infrastructure on a reliable basis, and 1080I does a good job as it stands of getting High Definition content to subscribers.

Satellite companies enable you to get 1080P by broadcasting on higher frequencies (Greater than 1500Mhz) which the cable networks around your house do not have access to or use. (5-1002Mhz usually)

High definition really took about 10 years to take hold by itself, and become the norm in the USA, and will take some time to migrate from that to the next generation of 4k/SHD/UHD television content.

Most of today's content at that scale is only playable using Blu-ray players or streaming services like Youtube. So until they can compress using MPEG 4 better, or reduce the filesize, 4k content is best seen using physical Media at the moment.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Established Sharer

Remember that any time people start talking about "more/better video compression" they are just finding more ways to take away some portion of the original pixel information so they can try to squeeze the fat 4K or HD signal down a skinny piece of cable to tyour TV set.  That lets them move more channel content across the limited  bandwidth transport medium de jour (cable, fiber, RF, or satellite) .

Spectrum Employee

karlbeckman wrote:

Remember that any time people start talking about "more/better video compression" they are just finding more ways to take away some portion of the original pixel information so they can try to squeeze the fat 4K or HD signal down a skinny piece of cable to tyour TV set. 

To elaborate on what I originally posted, karlbeckman is exactly correct. Theres a point where it cannot be compressed further without impairing signal quality and also a point where you can reduce the size of the packets to without losing resolution.

1080i is currently the best, consistently availible format to broadcast entire services with before going to entirely IP based broadcasting.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Newcomer

I would prefer to have you remove all of the duplicate channels to free up bandwidth.  Then you could possibly deliver 1080p.

I prefer to pay for HD quality "as advertised", instead of Spectrum's incorrect channel count.

No disrespect, but 1080i can't even deliver a smooth banner on ESPN.