Highlighted
Spectator

unable to view encrypted channels with activated cablecard on HdHomerun Prime

I have an HdHomerun tuner, with a cablecard, that has been activated, but I am unable to view any encrypted channels. I am looking for only the channels I can view on my set-top box / dvr, like Discovery/Science, which appears on channel 464 on the set-top box.

My tuner software lists it on channel 10 , program 233 464 Discovery Scien (encrypted) and I cannot tune it, or any other encrypted channel that I can tune one my set-top box, such as BBC America.

The cablecard has been activated, but does not seem to function.

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: unable to view encrypted channels with activated cablecard on HdHomerun Prime

Describe coax wise where the Tuning adapter is connected..

You must use it's internal splitter not another 2way in front of it as there's too much loss.

Next, post your twc modem level pages and describe where it is splitter wise to the HR set.

Spectator

Re: unable to view encrypted channels with activated cablecard on HdHomerun Prime

Instructions from Twc Tech - Non Support said the tuning adapter was unnecessary in my area. There is a splitter between the homerun input and a hauppage tuner, but the signal strength meter in the viewing application shows good signal strength.
Expert

[ Edited ]

hcmeyer wrote:
Instructions from Twc Tech - Non Support said the tuning adapter was unnecessary in my area. There is a splitter between the homerun input and a hauppage tuner, but the signal strength meter in the viewing application shows good signal strength.

wrong answer..... incompetence rules there... unless you're in something TWC just bought or maybe Hawaii!

What's your location and what are the guide channel numbers at TWCTV.com.. If over ch 70 (general rule of thumb)  in any old twc starter or standard, old basic tier, and especially 3 digits, you need a tuning adapter period!. Not only are channels encrypted , but they are SDV which needs a TA to act as a cable modem.  Any channel that says "please wait" needs a TA.

side note:

You will be losing all the channels on the Hauppage and any other syupposed "cable ready" device anyway. TWC/ spectrum is going full encryption on all channels, many areas already are.

You might also have the wrong cable card.. Where exactly did it come from and what mfg/ model number is it? Especially since they didn't supply the TA with it.

You may have a signal level issue as well once you get a TA.

are you calling the cablecard support #? 

Spectator

The cablecard came from the local Spectrum cable office.  It is a motorola, with an interface plug that looks like pcmcia. Again, I was following instructions from Tech Non-Support. Silly me. 

No I have not called Cablecard support. I took me three trys to get a tech rep who knew what a cablecard was, and could connect me to cablecard support.

Browser

[ Edited ]

Was this cable card pulled out of another set top box and then added to your hdhomerun prime if so you may have to call tech and have your homerun prime mac address added to the account. Any device that has been added to the cable network has to have the mac address added and activated to your account, other than this I see no other reason why the hdhomerun should not receive encrypted signals.

kevsh
Spectator

[ Edited ]

No, this was a freshly procured card from the local office of the vendor, Spectrum. After 2 days of unproductive talks with tech support dummies, I fianlly got through with a tech with some of his bulbs screwed in. We used the html fron t panel on the homeRun to activate and verify the cableCard.

However, after talking some more with the tech, I found out that a client with magic decryption software was needed, the Media Center Component of Windows 7. I despise Windows, so I have been unable to get the client working. I believe a pirate plugin of Kodi will also perform the magic decryption, but I have not installed kodi.

Spectrum has since pulled completely two of the channels that I wanted to watch, and added an open version of the third. So I don't care enough to screw with it. 

Newcomer

I am about to get my own cable card and homerun prime, i was just curious how many channel are you getting that are not encrypted and work for you?  Do you get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS?