Rookie

Why doesn't TWC allow me to receive HD TV with my CableCard?

Instead of a set top box I use a TWC provided Cable Card with my Home Theater PC on Windows Media Center. Shortly after hooking it up a noticed none of the HD channels are in HD quality. Most should be in either 1080i or 720. I came to find out TWC only provides HD if one were to lease an HD set top box. My question is why is the set top box the only way? Other cable companies don't establish this restriction and there is nothing in the technology that prevents it from receiving full HD. As a matter of fact, the Cable Card uses two way (Tru2way) communication and also be able to control on demand programming.  I, and many like me, would be so much happier if TWC removed this restriction.

Grant

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Why doesn't TWC allow me to receive HD TV with my CableCard?

[ Edited ]

There are 2 flavors of cable cards and TWC is not issueing the 2 way ones, They're using the bipolar ones.

As for the HD issue, is your local system on the national lineup?  In other words the hd's are mixed in with channels 999 and down. 

If not, HD's are 1000 and up,  have a look at the 5 free epix channels that are below 999, 4 are in HD, the epix drive in is in SD.

Are you using TWC's guide or some other source?

Do you have a Cisco Tuning adapter and has TWC activated it?

Valued Participant

Call TWC and have your cableCARD reproivisioned. I have a CableCARD and I get the HD feeds on my Ceton tuner. I believe this can be done by calling the CableCARD Hotline at (866)606-5889  or (866)532-2598. Hope this helps. 

Expert

You also need a TA (tuning adapter) and twc must authorize it, be sure to give them the correct mac, I believe it's the CM MAC