Valued Contributor

Status of Samsung GX-SM530CF support

[ Edited ]

Around last December TWC informed us (Untangled Blog, I think) that the Samsung GX-SM530CF Smart Media Center may be (is?) supported as a customer purchased alternative to a set top box. This is possible because the SM530CF supports CableCards as do some newer TVs, Tivo DVRs, etc.

Samsung's product page: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd/GX-SM530CF/XAA

Does anyone out there have any experience with this device on TWC?

I'm a little reluctant to purchase one due to the suspiciously limited sourcing (Walmart, Best Buy) and recent price drops possibly indicating EOL.

On one hand, TWC would need less capital spending if modern technology, customer owned STBs are allowed (see Internet modem). OTOH they could be paranoid about nebulous 'support issues' AND that overpriced STB monthly fee doesn't hurt their bottom line. Cat Mad Other than the one 'peep' mentioned above, not a word more out of TWC - very suspicious.

NOTE TO MODS - just noticed the separate CableCARD subforum, argghh .....

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Other-CableCARD-Devices/bd-p/Other

If you can move this post there TIA .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moto DCX3200-M set top box, ODN 8.0.0
6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Status of Samsung GX-SM530CF support

Samsung has had awfull device longevity thanks to their products using conterfeit capacitors (wiki capacitor plague) I've had to shotgun every electrolytic capacitor in some of their products as new as 2012... same with Dell products.

I'd avoid anything that runs hot. EOL may indicate they had production /longevity issues.

Participant

[ Edited ]

I have this device and it's working fine on TWC. Bought it @ Walmart in February. I'd suggest visiting the following link for more detailed information from other owner's of this particular device.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/1498949-samsung-gx-sm530cf-cablecard-tuner-media-str...

It's really a no frills device. The streaming portion of this device is pretty lackluster, but the cable card portion is quite stable and just works. At the very least, you're saving $$ on STB rental fees. No complaints here. It does what it's supposed to do, but I rely on a Roku for the streaming stuff, so really all I care about with this Samsung device is the cable card and like I already said, it just works.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@N3xus, thanks for your review and link. Looks like it is on my candidate list. BTW the Samsung device has a limited warranty of One year, sadly typical of recent CE.

The same topic also has good words for the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime box, which has more functionality and is selling for about the same price ($120) from Amazon and Newegg at this time. Also has a one year limited warranty. See http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/

At that price point, the payback period is 120 / (10 - 2.5) = 16 months. Something to think about. Probably will try one or both out after the TWC 'disruption period' coming up;  tomorrow our area is going 'all digital' and in a week or two the channel lineup will change. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moto DCX3200-M set top box, ODN 8.0.0
Participant

[ Edited ]

No problem. If you register the Samsung device @ their website, they'll extend the warranty for an additional 3 months. Whoop-dee-doo, I know, but 15 months is better than 12 months, I guess? :-)

Depending on the outcome of the Comcast-Time Warner merger situation, I might go the HTPC route. The HD Homerun Prime certainly fits the bill if I go that route. Supposedly they're working on a new 6 tuner model, so that'll be something to keep an eye on if you think you'll need more than 3 tuners that they're currently offering? Otherwise you can also look into the Ceton InfiniTV 6 tuner products. It's nice to have choices.

Best of luck to you. I hope whatever route you choose, that it works well for you.

Newcomer

N3xus-  This device is exactly what I'm looking for.  My TWC is in Buffalo, NY area, and they use Scientific Atlanta/Cisco equipments.  My question is, will the Samsung GX-SM530CF box work with Scientific Atlanta CableCard? Or both Motorola & Scientific Atlanta?  Please elaborate.  Also, Time Warner Cable, please comment.  Thanks in advance.

Participant

@Uxer5590

Yes, this device will work on TWC's network, regardless. The card I'm renting is Scientific Atlanta.