Highlighted
Browser

Portal update lastnight

Did anyone notice that the Portal did a download, and then an update last night?

This was about 9:00 PM EST.    

I was about ready to arm the thing for the night, and I noticed the little "Squirly" thing "Meaning the unit was thinking".   Walked to the unit, and it said it was downloading.

I am wondering, 

1. if the system was armed, What would happen?

a. if someone broke in, would the system send out the alarm like it should?

b. if I were to attempt to arm the system, would it say "screw you, i cannot arm right now?

2. WHY were we as consumers not notified that there was going to be an update at that time?

3.  What was included in that said update?   

OR?

Was someone hacking into the "Secured" wifi system, and planted a "virus". Smiley Surprised  LOL...

It does make a person think/wonder, esp. if we are paying TWC for services.

OH, by the way, I live in North East Ohio.

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Portal update lastnight

There is no such thing as secure wifi, it can be hacked.... and at near a mile away,

Sorry.

WIFI was never designed for security,and was never UL approved. If you have any routers with WPS, that function and button need to be disabled as well as any device that has guest accounts or is externally controllable from the wan side, like all in one modem/ router/ wireless units. WIFI option should be disabled, it should be configured as a home wireless network. Wireless mgmt/ GUI must be off.

Browser

YES, I know wifi, is not 100% secure.

There is NOT ANY network that is 100% secure.

Just look at "Target" in December of 2013.

MY main question was "Did anyone else receive an update to the portal last night, (Friday)>

Browser

I cannot beleive NO one else saw the "update" downloading, and installing.

Possibly I will take a pic to the Portal when it happens again.

NOT even a reply from TWC "OFFICIAL" people.  

WOW, NOW i think my system was really being hacked.

Good thing for the 40ca, and 9mm.

and last not least the DOBBIE.   

Community Manager

Hi there, we've reached out to our product team for an answer to your concerns.  We will reply to this thread accordingly.

Thanks

TWC-PhilB

Community Manager

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello again-- Davell, we would like to take a look at your equipment from our end.  I'm going to send you a private message with instructions on contacting us.  Thanks!  

TWC-PhilB

Community Manager

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good morning, just want to post here so that any other customers who had questions can see-- there was a firmware update pushed out to user equipment, which caused what Davell saw.  If anyone has questions about their specific accounts, they can contact my team directly at TWC_ForumsHelp

Thanks!

TWC-PhilB

Community Manager

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager