Spectator

router does not assign IPV6 address

I am reporting a problem that has persisted for a few months. For a long time, both IPV4 and IPV6 worked perfectly on my home network: Arris router, Window 10 Professional on wired connection, Apple Macbook Pro (wireless), 2 iphones, network printer (wired), smart TV  (wireless). Then , one day, IPV6 stopped working on the WIndows machine. I studied the problem and discovered:

1) The router had an external IPV6 address, as it should.

2) My windows machine did not have an IPV6 address. I did not test the other devices.

3) I could force the assignment of an IPV6 address by typing 'ipconfig /renew6' at an admin command line.

4) When the DHCP lease expires, no new IPV6 address is assigned.

My work-around is to set a long lease period in the router, and type the magic command when needed. But this is ridiculous, and my wife can't do it.

--
Hi to all my friends at NSA
9 REPLIES
Spectator

Re: router does not assign IPV6 address

This is a follow-up by the original author.

After doing ipconfig /renew6, my windows box IPV6 address reported by ipconfig is the same as my WAN IPV6 logged by my hosted server on Hurricane Electric ...

Looks to me (I'm a dummy) like there is no NAT for IPV6.  I didn't set anything to any kind of DMZ , so I don't understand.

--
Expert

what modem are you using... What router? some have issues

Spectator

I have a combined modem and router and telephone interface.

Arris DG1670A
[ I think. Can I confirm this by logging in?
It's not convenient to read labels now. ]

Utilities page says:

hardware version 6
firmware version 9.1.103J5
bootcode version 2.20.27

Hope I transcribed all this right.

--
Expert

It would have to be a 1672 to have phone...

There were issues with those when trying to run phone and IPv6 and they were replaced with the technicolor all in ones...

Unknown if that was corrrected, advice was to turn off IPv6 for the past year or use a seperate modem for emta phone or get a Technicolor.

Spectator

Thank you. I may be making progress here. The next step is make Time Warner replace the router. I need a strategy.

As we speak, my desktop computer has a globally routable IPV6 address, assigned by the router. I think this is cool, so long as I am careful with firewall settings, but I suspect Time Warner would be upset at the idea of customers running without NAT.

I wonder if I can make my Macbook Pro get a routable IPV6 address too.

--
Seasoned Contributor

Josh-Rubin wrote:

Then , one day, IPV6 stopped working on the WIndows machine.

You've made absolutely no changes to anything attached to your network neither have you attached or removed anything?  A not unheard of reason for DHCP failures is accidentally starting another DHCP server.

All of the Apple devices should have addresses in your DHCPv6 range (as well as multiple dynamic addresses, check iOS with HE network tools).   If they don't it's a DHCP problem.  If they do it's a host issue.

Seasoned Contributor

Josh-Rubin wrote:

As we speak, my desktop computer has a globally routable IPV6 address, assigned by the router. I think this is cool, so long as I am careful with firewall settings, but I suspect Time Warner would be upset at the idea of customers running without NAT.

All IPv6 from TWC is global.  IPv6 doesn't do NAT in the common IPv4 sense and not at all with TWC consumer equipment.

Spectator

bodosom wrote:

Josh-Rubin wrote:

Then , one day, IPV6 stopped working on the WIndows machine.

• bodosom asked:  "You've made absolutely no changes to anything attached to your network neither have you attached or removed anything?  A not unheard of reason for DHCP failures is accidentally starting another DHCP server."

ME: Apple and WIndows laptops are frequently added and removed from the wireless network. They do not run DHCP servers. The router has been reset (once by me, then once by a clueless TWC employee). No change in behaviour.

When I started working on this problem, the router was assigning leases for 3600 seconds. On lease expiration, I would lose IPV6 and no new address would be assigned until I forced it to with 'ipconfig /renew6'. I increased the lease period, in steps, up to 604800 seconds (1 week). This saves my sanity, but the underlying problem (no new lease is assigned) is unchanged.

I can't do any testing on the laptops right now. My wife relies on them for work, and our wedding vows say that I only do 'scheduled maintenance' and emergency repairs.

--
Seasoned Contributor

My suggestions don't require any changes to the laptops.  You can check leases on your iOS devices.  It helps to set the DHCP range to something obvious (I use ::f000-ffff).   On a Mac you can use ifconfig from the terminal (easiest) or look in Preferences.  The point is to see if there are multiple active IPv6 addresses.

You didn't say anything about my other questions.

$ ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 2604:    :    :  00:8e7:3cd6:1815:1a7d prefixlen 64 autoconf secured
        inet6 2604:    :    :  00:a8dd:c0bf:9d55:2a77 prefixlen 64 autoconf temporary
        inet 192.168.0.7 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 192.168.3.255
        inet6 2604:    :    :  00::fdda prefixlen 64 dynamic
        nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
        media: autoselect