Spectator

What modem should I request for 200 MbpS and IPv6 Native?

I was issued a TM1602 modem for the upgrade to 200 MbpS.  I got the speed but lost my IPv6 connection.  I need to know what modem I should request to get both (IPv6 Native, please).  Thanks and enjoy, John.

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: What modem should I request for 200 MbpS and IPv6 Native?

what modem did you have before?

do you now have their phone service?

What router do you have?

TWC never got IPv6 and EMTA phone reliably  working in the same modem... It will require a dedicated phone modem

Spectator

Thanks, MsRaye for your reply.

SB6141 - owned by Spectrum. 

I do not have Spectrum phone service.

Netgear WNDR4300V2.

I have no need for a EMTA modem and do not know why they issued it to me.  I wish I had known about its function.

Thanks and enjoy, John.

Expert

Either the Ubee or the Technicolor if they don't give out Motorola/ Arris anymore.

And yeah, the 6141's did IPv6.

Did you reset your router to autodetect WAN settings when you got the new modem?

Spectator

Thanks, MsRaye.  I reset and tried many settings.  I was able to get a 6in4 Tunnel connection which was very slow, so I disabled it.  Here are the Spectrum Authorized modems.  I hope they also offer to loan one to users.  Do you have a preference?

ARRISSB6190
ASUSCM-32_AC2600
LinksysCM3024
NETGEARC7000-100NAS
NETGEARCM600

Thanks much and enjoy, John.

Spectator

Yesterday I swapped my Arris TM1602 for a Technicolor TC8717T (only available alternative) and it works great.  I get full speed (measures about 235 Mbps) and I get a Native IPv6 connection.

Observation of process:  Spectrum has first rate technology and network but for some reason that choose to keep their technical support team in the dark about IPv6.  One person insisted that I replace my Cat5E with Cat6A to be able to run 200 Mbps.  This same person also said that Spectrum was working hard on IPv6 support (very complex) but it would be a year or two before it was available.  I have been running IPv6 (DHCP6 with prefix-delegation) for a couple of years.  Oh well, enjoy, John.

Established Sharer

CAT-5e cable is used for Gigabit, so it is certainly OK for 200 Mbps.  Of course the WAN and LAN jacks on their rental gateway modems don't fully support CAT-6a anyhow, so swapping the cable out would be a waste of (your) time and money. 

Their techs do need some intensive training to get their heads dragged into the 21st century.   At least their estimate of time needed to make IPv6 work seems pretty close, since they've been pounding on it for three years already. 

Newcomer

Before Spectrum took over and started providing free modems I went out and bought an  Arris SURFboard® SBG6900-AC. Is the modem you just got better than that? Should I go to my local Spectrum office and get the modem you just picked up? Does it have integrated wireless? 

Spectator

Dolf, I know nothing about your modem, so cannot answer your question.  Mine does have integrated wireless and telephony, but I use neither.  I am using only the modem part and was surprised that gave me this unit.  Enjoy, John.

Established Sharer

You also need to replace that old WNDR3400 router with something that is newer and faster than 100 Mbps.  All current routers support the IPv6 standard. 

Your new unit needs to be labeled "Gigabit Ethernet", it should have several large external antennas to improve WiFi range, and be labeled 'supports 802.11 AC' at not less than 1700 Mbps. 

If you are planning to stream more than two HD video programs at a time in the future, or if you use a DVR, you'll be happier with a higher performance device labeled "Tri-Band WiFi" and speed in the 2600 to 3800 Mbps range.