Newcomer

Static IPv6?

* Are IPv6 addresses static for residential accounts?
* If not, is static IPv6 available with a business account?
* If a business account is required does static IPv6 require static IPv4 addressing?
* If a business account is required is it possible to use a customer owned modem (SB6183)?

6 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Static IPv6?

@BenWwrote:

* Are IPv6 addresses static for residential accounts?
* If not, is static IPv6 available with a business account?
* If a business account is required does static IPv6 require static IPv4 addressing?
* If a business account is required is it possible to use a customer owned modem (SB6183)?

No

Yes

I understand they go hand in hand.

No

Newcomer

Thanks. I appreciate the answers. Requiring static IPv4 seems counter-productive but not uncommon.

Highlighted
Expert

I have found that the Spectrum Biz accounts are not true static ip's.... the CMTS servers will asign different public IP's if you switch router mfg's...

a public static ip should be the same no matter what device you connect to the modem....

As for IPv6, forget it.... Totally useless/counterproductive on TWC (that has not had it properly working since 2014) and now Spectrum...  The DNS is horribly slow and times out as it's pipelined back to one US server in Witchita whereas IPv4 has at least 5 anycast servers scattered throughout the US.. Columbus oh, Atlanta, Dallas, La, Witchita and NY, maybe more

Detroit/ Chicago?

Lead Moderator

Business Class static IP addresses are scripted into the modem and should not change

no matter what is connected to the modem. If this is happening please contact 

support for further investigation.  

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Newcomer

In what way has IPv6 not been working? Is it just a problem with their DNS servers? I don’t intend to use their DNS servers anyway... I use Google DNS. Would you mind elaborating?

Also my experience with static IPv4 addresses on TWC was that they truly were indeed static. You do have to actually pay for static IPv4 addresses of course... they are not included by default with business class.

Established Sharer

From Spectrum's IPv6 info and FAQ page:

We provide DNS resolvers in configuration information automatically provided via the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP and DHCPv6). At this time, we are only providing the IPv4 addresses of our DNS resolvers. We expect to add IPv6 resolvers in the coming months.

As long as IPv4 is working, your dual-stack (IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously) configuration will still allow you to use IPv4-enabled DNS resolvers to look up IPv6 addresses.