No IPv6 address besides Link-Local one on customer owned modems

I have been having some issues trying to get IPv6 working.  I know everything was working fine some time ago, but I am uncertain when it actually stopped working.  I originally had an SB6183 Modem Connected.  I noticed a couple of days that my router no longer had an IPv6 Address that was not the Link-Local Address.  I did the usual, which was to turn the modem off and on, I still got only an IPv4 address.  I turned off and on the WAN interface on the router and I still only got a public IPv4 and the Link-Local address for IPv6.  I restarted the router and I got the same thing.  I then proceed to test the modem with different hardware.  I tested a direct connection on a laptop and still only got an IPv4 address.  I tested various options for the dhcp6 client (Prefix Delegation Length, prefix hint, waiting for an RA, disallowing PD/Addresses release) and even different operating systems (Windows 7, Linux, FreeBSD).  I finally called Spectrum Tech support and they did some diagnostics on their end.  Tech support said they saw some options that they could not change on my modem since it was locked because it is a customer owned device and that they had no way of changing it.  They suggested that it was perhaps some firmware or hardware issue and that I should really contact ARRIS Tech support on the issue.  Well I did a google search online to see if other people were having issues similar to mine, I saw some threads on forums where they talked about firmware and IPv6 issues with the SB6183.  So I talked to ARRIS tech support, they told me that they do not provide firmware to end users but rather the cable company . The cable company is responsible for loading firmware on my device.  This is indeed true as the firmware that originally came with the device did in fact change.  I am as of now running D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.5-GA-00-NOSH on the SB6183 modem.  The tech support agent from ARRIS said all he could really suggest was that I perform a factory reset on the modem.  I explained that my modem did not have such options on the modem page nor did it have a paper clip hole.  He told me to unplug the modem from the coax and restart. With the modem restarted and unpluged from coax the web page  allowed me to default it.. Well same issue, I only get a public IPv4 address and the Link-Local address for IPv6.  I spoke again with a tech support agent from Spectrum and explained the situation again.  This agent was far more knowledgeable and understood that calling ARRIS was pointless as the cable operators are responsible for loading firmware even on customer owned devices.  He tried a whole bunch of different things and my modem did power cycle a couple of times but I was still unable to receive an IPv6 address.  He said he was sorry and that there was nothing else he knew to do.  I said well we tried and gave up for the day.  The next day I remote logged into my parent’s network in Texas.  They also use an SB6183 and are on Spectrum. Well I notice that they also did not have an IPv6 Address.  I then also asked another friend also with an SB6183 and on Spectrum, he also did not have an IPv6 Address.  I was then able to look a yet another friend’s setup who has almost identical hardware as me but a different modem.  He has a ARRIS Touchstone Modem with this firmware TS0901103J6TW2_072417_16XX.GW_PC20_TW.  His modem is actually provided by spectrum and I noticed he correctly gets an IPv6 Address in addition to the Link-Local Address.  So yesterday evening I went to the store and decided to just buy a different modem, I saw the ARRIS SB6190 and a Motorola MB7420.  I purchased the MB7420 as I read that the SB6190 actually had some issues with firmware and that the chipset.  I swapped out modems late last night and got support to help me activate the new modem.  I tried doing it online but the activation failed to verify my account number, it wanted a 16-digit account even though in my billing statements they are only 9 digits long.  Well I still have no IPv6 here in Raleigh, NC.  I did notice though that with this modem (MB7420 7420-5.7.1.19) I get a gateway for IPv6 but it looks like it is a Link Local Address (fe80::217:10ff:fe8b:3918) and of course my Link local address is (fe80::217:3aff:fe80:a25a)  As of this moment I am just out of options.  I do not know what else to try or do.  I guess that approve modem list from spectrum is wrong and that they do not really support IPv6 on all the modems on their list.  Help... Any  Suggestions?

Best Regards,

Adan

6 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: No IPv6 address besides Link-Local one on customer owned modems

Spectrum only offers and accepts IPv4 public addresses for internet service connections, though their DNS can resolve an IPv6 address if there is also an IPv4 record in the database.  They use IPv6 network addresses internally for your modem diagnostic service port and eMTA VoIP traffic. Is it possible you are confusing the different functional ports and addresses for the different logical connections?

If you must desire a public IPv6 address, or a static IPv4 public address, you probably will need to convert your home internet user account to a business account.  The forum moderators (who are Spectrum employees) can direct you to the proper department. 

Thanks for the reply. 

I wish the Spectrum agents I spoke with for tech support would have known this.  I could have save a lot of time.  The modems are listed on the Authorized Modems List.    Also, this page from spectrum seems to imply that IPv6 service is avilable to residential customers: "We've also enabled IPv6 access to our customers' homes and businesses."  I do remember having an IPv6 as a residential customer, but I guess that went away.  My understanding is also that business accounts also don't use customer owned modems, so I guess the heading on this post is true.  I do not see how some people in the forums were talking about IPv6 issues with their SB6183  As I do not think it's a modem businesses get issued.  A similar post some time ago titled IPv6 Configuration for Residential Subscribers should have ended in just not possible.

Oh well,  I guess I guess I can stop trying to get this to work.

All the best,

Adan

Helper

To add about firmware...ISPs push firmware updates to modems whether they are leased or customer owned. ISPs wil only push the latest firmware updates made available by the manufacturer once they have been fully tested and determined that

1) It is necessary, and

2) Does not negatively impact the network or other users.

ISPs will not deploy updates until that process has been fully vetted and the network engineers are confident that all is good. Sometimes ISPs determine that the latest update isn't necessary and never deploy it because it just eats up resources that can be used elsewhere.

Yes, I sort of suspected this is how firmware works with cable modems.  The issue here is...., I am wondering now if....,  Are there are any residential accounts that are able to use IPv6?  I don't know why the first tech had me talk to ARRIS about firmware.  At least I learned how to factory default the SB6183 device.  I did end up changing to a Motorola MB7420 as I stated, but still no IPv6.  These are both customer owned.  I know the modems themselve connect to boxes that are called CMTS, and those boxes also get their software updated and are sometimes upgraded and also swapped.  I get the impression that there are residential accounts out there with IPv6 from reading other posts on this forum.   I mean I had IPv6 working but some how it went away.   Honestly, I did not even notice until I had to use it.   It would not make sense to offer internet service and not allow the customers to have an IPv6 address in this day in age.  The whole reason I need IPv6 is that I need to reach some destination with an IPv6 Address.

So, I am adding to the story. I just got off the phone with both Spectrum and Motorola Tech support.  First I got a residential account tech support agent on the phone and explained the situtation.  Intrestingly enough they confirmed that they do provide IPv6 addresses to residential accounts if the modem supports it.  I was like great.  I have a couple of modems that are supposed to handle IPv6.  However they do not give out the IP address over the phone.  Well not a big deal, as I know how to get them if I get them assigned.  I explained that I was actually trying to connect to an IPv6 only service that is also being provided by spectrum business.  So then the first tech support agent actually said I might get some help from spectrum business.  She forwarded me while on the phone line.  I then gave all the credentials for the other account to the spectrum business support agent.  I explained the situation and so then I got on a three way call with both a spectrum residential support (diffrent person) and a business support agent.   To make the story short, in the end both agents suggested that I get support from the modem manufacturer.   The new residential support agent says everything was fine on spectrum's end and again he could not access settings on my modem as it was customer owned.  He did explain that he could see an IPv6 Address for me.  I told him the dhcp6 client was not reeceving anything but the link-local.  He then gave me the address which was not a link local address and also it was not the managment address on the modem's web page.  I actually do not know whose IPv6 address this is not assiged to my device.   I explained that the configuration on the modem and even the firmware was uploaded by spectrum.  At this point both agents told me that this was a falacy and that no, spectrum does not upgrade or configure customer owned modems.  So I called Motorola this time.   The tech support agent from Motrola told me exactly what I suspected.  That they release the firmware to the cable company.  The cable company uploades it to the customer's modem and also configures the modem.  The Motorola Agent suggested I call back Spectrum and get some higher level support.  I really do not feel like calling again, at least not today.

Highlighted
Helper

@adancalderon wrote:

The new residential support agent says everything was fine on spectrum's end and again he could not access settings on my modem as it was customer owned. 

I call BS on this one. Spectrum is in complete control of modems on their network whether they are leased or customer owned.