Newcomer

Re: Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)

So here it is July 23.

When will the firmware update happen???

Waaaay past the 3 - 4 week period mentioned.

Participant

Based on the new compatible modem list (http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html), I would venture a guess that the answer to your question-- and notwithstanding anything that Phil B has previously posted-- is "NEVER."

TWC/Charter is now apparently taking the position that the SB6183 is INCOMPATIBLE with IPv6.

That's not "temporarily incompatible" or "will be upgraded shortly" or "buy this because we plan to update the firmware".  

Rather, it is a definitive statement that the SB6183 is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH IPV6, and therefore anyone who wants/needs IPv6 compatibility should buy a different model.

I hope this is not the case, and that what TWC/Charter is trying to do is only state the obvious, which is that with the firmware version listed, the modem is not presently IPv6 compatible, but that's not what the sheet discloses.

Maybe PhilB can shed some addtional light on this, but sadly, after all this time, I'm convinced that TWC/Charter has zero plans to update the firmware on the SB6183....ever.

Go ahead, TWC/Charter....prove me wrong.

Browser

jegesq wrote:

Based on the new compatible modem list (http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html), I would venture a guess that the answer to your question-- and notwithstanding anything that Phil B has previously posted-- is "NEVER."

TWC/Charter is now apparently taking the position that the SB6183 is INCOMPATIBLE with IPv6.

That's not "temporarily incompatible" or "will be upgraded shortly" or "buy this because we plan to update the firmware".  

Rather, it is a definitive statement that the SB6183 is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH IPV6, and therefore anyone who wants/needs IPv6 compatibility should buy a different model.

I hope this is not the case, and that what TWC/Charter is trying to do is only state the obvious, which is that with the firmware version listed, the modem is not presently IPv6 compatible, but that's not what the sheet discloses.

Maybe PhilB can shed some addtional light on this, but sadly, after all this time, I'm convinced that TWC/Charter has zero plans to update the firmware on the SB6183....ever.

Go ahead, TWC/Charter....prove me wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me. I just don't get why it's so dang hard of a thing to do...

Valued Participant

SB6183 supports IPV6 but Time Warner Cable refuses to update the firmware. I am guessing there is something on their servers that won't like the new firmware, but I have no idea.

Be sure to report your unhappiness to TWC tech support as well as the Corporate office.  SB6183 owners need to make more noise about this.

ARRIS has a working firmware....TWC just refuses to do anything with it.

Valued Participant

Hope you didn't order the SB6190....I've heard it will only do 100Mbps on TWC

Observer

I had switched to a leased modem while waiting for the new firmware (which seems now that it will never come). Just called TWC and was able to get a bill credit for the lease fees in the interim, but now I still need to buy a new modem...

The leased Arris and the SB6183 have been the most rock-solid modems I have had, so I'm a bit hesitant to go to one of the other cheaper brands. The SB6190 sounds like it has had its fair share of issues, so I'm a bit unsure about going with that one either. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Expert

[ Edited ]

The recomendation is DO NOT BUY ANY MODEMS... Charter/Spectrum is supposed to be removing the lease fees.. but, they're only advertising 2 tiers, a 60-6 for $60 a month and a 100/6 for $100 a month.

The issue with the 6183 is NOT THE 6183 but whatever trash firmware that TWC loaded into their CMTS servers at the cable head ends last December. before January, the 6183's were running IPv6.

Until TWC started loading up 24-32 channels, the 6141's were the most rock solid modems and probably still are provided there's no broadcast tv or 4G ingress, which again is a TWC problem, failing to properly replace or maintain 20-30-40 year old outside lines and amplifiers.

Observer

[ Edited ]
Well, the 6183's did have a true problem that was Arris's fault that affected IPv6 traffic. It just happened to cause issues that only affected non-Windows systems and also was often not perceptible to end users due to the behavior of browsers to jump back to IPv4 when IPv6 is slow. There was also the security issue of being subjected to reboots from malicious web site scripting. That said, Arris has reportedly fixed these issues and rolled a new firmware, but TWC is delaying the rollout for unknown reasons.

I'm not sure how the rollout of more channels somehow affected your usage of the 6141. In my area, it seems like TWC did a great job adding total channel capacity simultaneously with rolling out 300Mbit service.

Even if TWC rolls out new plans that drop leasing fees, a $90 modem probably can still fetch half that on eBay so I only need a few months to break even. Assuming the new plans are a worse deal (since they aren't going to just absorb the lease cost), TWC typically gives advance notice before the new rates go into effect for existing customers. I think buying a modem is still a safe bet with limited downside and substantial upside.
Seasoned Contributor

Bluecheese wrote:

The leased Arris and the SB6183 have been the most rock-solid modems I have had, so I'm a bit hesitant to go to one of the other cheaper brands. The SB6190 sounds like it has had its fair share of issues, so I'm a bit unsure about going with that one either. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

I've had no issues with the CM600 or the Zoom 5370.  Both report far fewers errors than any of the "Surfboard" modems I've used (four).  The Netgear only reports errors when it doesn't get a ranging slot which is, of course, rare.

Seasoned Contributor

MsRaye wrote:
The issue with the 6183 is NOT THE 6183

No matter how many times you say this it's still not true.  Do you work for Comcast (or old Charter)?  Are you trying to make TWC look incompetent?  If so you needn't bother, they don't need your help.