Browser

Re: Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)

For the moment, YES, the only solution is move to different modem. Longer term, PhilB from TWC (here on this forum) has indicated that TWC is testing new firmware for the 6183 modem. His post from March 29 indicated an anticipated release of 3-4 weeks, so we COULD see it released any time OR we could be in IPv6 purgatory indefinitely. The new firmware has been in use on other cable systems since last fall, but TWC has to ensure that it is compatible with their infrastructure first and does not break something else.
Browser

Perhaps the most irritating thing about all this is the fact that IPV6 was working PERFECTLY on my SB6183 before someone discovered a "bug". I even remember fighting a VPN for leaking my IPV6 address. They should have just left well enough alone.

Hopefully they'll have a fix ready before the day IPV4 goes the way of the dinosaur.

The bug isn't incredibly obvious to many users, but it is definitely there.  First, it only affects UNIX-like systems (such as Linux, Android, and Mac OS X), so if you use primarily Microsoft® Windows® systems (as most people sadly do) you would not encounter the bug.  Second, the bug is not apparent while viewing Web sites an a browser because the browser will automatically fall back to IPv4 if the IPv6 connection is even a little bit slow.  Basically, the applications and use cases affected by the bug are not those typically engaged in by a majority of users.  However, for the users that are affected, the current behavior is not even remotely "well enough".  It is a major pain and extremely annoying.

Also, if you read the thread, you will see that approximately 3.5 weeks ago, TWCPhilB posted that the firmware update was being tested and would be released in 3-4 weeks.  So, the update should be released any time now.

Spectator

Hopefully we will be notified of this in a timely fashion. Because what annoys me isn't just the fact that it was randomly turned off- if it was a bug ok- it is that I had to spend half a day on the phone with CSRs whom all denied it was Time Warner's problem - that it was Arris's because "why would we be responsible for firmware upgrades, that would be like expecting AT&T to upgrade your cellphone" I seriously was speechless. So much incorrectness. Ahhhh. I already knew the problem, it was posted HERE on their own forums, and yet I couldn't get anyone to admit it from TMC. That is annoying as can be.

I agree; it is very annoying.  It took months of pulling strings and going through unofficial channels before they would even admit there was a problem, and months after that before they would commit to an FW update and give a tentative ETA for it to occur.

I called customer support 3 times about this issue, and not one of the tier 1 support agents even knew anything about firmware or IPv6.  Usually they just had me run speedtest.net and told me there wasn't a problem when that showed the proper speed (despite that speedtest.net doesn't even use IPv6).  Even the upper-level support (I'm not sure if it was tier 2 or tier 3 or what) was quite ignorant about FW updates.  The first guy I talked to insisted that TWC did not update the FW of customer modems (which is obviously false) and had me contact Arris.  Arris, of course, told me that modem FW updates are the responsibility of the ISP (correct, but unhelpful).  The second agent was sure that I could download the FW update myself from Arris's website and install it.  The only way I could convince him otherwise was to have him walk me through the process of downloading the firmware, which is of course impossible because you can't download the firmware.

Spectator

Agreed- Ah well - no fix I suppose other than I wish they put it on some internal company wiki/doc or something. The gentleman on the other end after stating his nonsense said "Does that make sense?" 

I was so flabbergasted, after a period of silence I said "No, none of it makes any sense." --- He said "Which part?" --- I - "All of it, But it isn't worth arguing." Having done Customer Support before getting into the neteng side of things, I know how harsh customers get with these guys and I never do that. So I just left it there, and will patiently wait out the Firmware update, or if I __NEED__ IPv6 sooner , buy a new modem I suppose.

Has there been any update on this? We are far past the timeframe that was originally mentioned here. 

It is getting pretty annoying as Netflix has started marking a Hurricane Electric 6in4 tunnel as a "proxy/unblocker"....

Observer

mamarley wrote:

I agree; it is very annoying.  It took months of pulling strings and going through unofficial channels before they would even admit there was a problem, and months after that before they would commit to an FW update and give a tentative ETA for it to occur.

I called customer support 3 times about this issue, and not one of the tier 1 support agents even knew anything about firmware or IPv6.  Usually they just had me run speedtest.net and told me there wasn't a problem when that showed the proper speed (despite that speedtest.net doesn't even use IPv6).  Even the upper-level support (I'm not sure if it was tier 2 or tier 3 or what) was quite ignorant about FW updates.  The first guy I talked to insisted that TWC did not update the FW of customer modems (which is obviously false) and had me contact Arris.  Arris, of course, told me that modem FW updates are the responsibility of the ISP (correct, but unhelpful).  The second agent was sure that I could download the FW update myself from Arris's website and install it.  The only way I could convince him otherwise was to have him walk me through the process of downloading the firmware, which is of course impossible because you can't download the firmware.

I too wasted several hours with TWC support people on the phone trying to convince them that

a) IPv6 is disabled on the SB6183

b) TWC _is_ responsoble for the firmware on the modem, even though it is customer-owned

c) Arris can't help me, since they have already released an update for this issue and TWC needs to approve it

Even pointing them to this thread they told me that this isn't official and they are not aware of these problems...

Is there any update as to when this firmware is being released? I just bought a brand new SB6183 after the old one died only to find out that IPv6 was broken afterwards (I guess it had been a long time since my old modem rebooted...).

Thanks,
Eric

Observer

Yeah, I can understand (to a point) the lethargic firmware validation process that has been going on for months now given it's likely not just the IPv6 firmware fix from late last year but also the CSRF security vulnerability (another SB6183 firmware update D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.2.3-GA-01-NOSH) which came out just in April from Arris I believe. 

If TWC pushes that same SB6183 firmware level (Comcast apparently did only several weeks ago) it will remove the reboot modem button from the modems admin webpage to address the vulnerability.

But not communicating out the newsflash that there is currently an IPv6 limitation with the SB6183 modem to the TWC support teams to mitigate drama and frustration with customers (for months now) just makes no business sense to me.

Observer

[ Edited ]

Bluecheese wrote:

I too wasted several hours with TWC support people on the phone trying to convince them that

a) IPv6 is disabled on the SB6183

b) TWC _is_ responsoble for the firmware on the modem, even though it is customer-owned

c) Arris can't help me, since they have already released an update for this issue and TWC needs to approve it

Sooooo ... not just me then, eh? Smiley Happy 

What annoys me the most about being told this nonsense is that I keep losing my temper when it happens. I like to think I'm rational enough to continue to be polite when asking for help. But apparently I am not.

It seems all someone from support has to do to push my particular button is to claim that technical absurdities are facts. When that happens I can't seem to surpress shooting off a reflexive "That's simply not true!". 

An opportunity for my possible future personal growth. Smiley Embarassed