Observer

Re: Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)

FWIW, I called up Arris and the rep had no idea either - he kept repeating that they don't know of any IPV6 related issues and could try sending out a replacement modem (same model as the one replaced, not 6190) and they could not guarantee that it will have newer firmware. I decided to keep using HE.NET Tunnel for now until TWC pushes out an update.
Participant

Kind of interesting that there's a disconnect between departments at Arris also.  There's an Arris employee who posts on the DSL Reports forums under the handle of "NetDog", and he was the one who reported the ping spike issue in the 6190's to Arris engineering after it was documentend by a number of users.  Same was what went on about the 6183's IPv6 issues.  Strange that the rep you spoke with had no idea of the problem.  You might want to direct them to these discussion threads:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30514011-Ping-spikes-DG2470-SB6190-Requesting-metrics-for-troublesh...

And these two for the IPv6 issue with the 6183:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30562682-Arris-SB6183-IPv6-TCP6-bug-Looking-for-firmware-update

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29569626-IPv6-SB6183-IPv6-problems

Participant

In reply to Ms. Raye's suggestion that Arris will replace your SB6183 with an SB6190:

I call BS. That's not happening.  Arris is not replacing any SB6183's with 6190's.

Despite repeated requests by others to Ms. Raye asking for a source for such assertions, no source ever cited.  Callers to Arris say it's not happening, and PhilB has confirmed that Arris has new firmware for the 6183 (which was pushed to Comcast users months ago), that TWC is just now getting around to testing.  

What I'm wondering about is whether the "bug" with the 6183's is the same sort of issue that arose with various Arris "gateway" devices last year, i.e., the backdoor to the backdoor, which enabled those with sufficient knowledge to break into Arris devices, and thus compromise not just the modem, but private LAN-side security. See this message thread:  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10596667

Like AnClar I too am using an Asus RT-AC3200 as my router along with my SB6183, and while I haven't yet upgraded my Asus firmware to the latest Merlin 380.58 (I'm still on .57),  I did within the past week reboot both my router and modem (which I do about once a month, just to clear things out), and that was when I noticed I had lost IPv6, which had been working for over a year. 

But the point is, the SB6183, other than no IPv6, is working otherwise flawlessly.   We can't update our own firmware, and as someone else upthread noted, even if one replaced their 6183 with a new one, TWC's provisioning would simply overwrite the firmware anyway.  So TWC will have to issue the update.

What I too would appreciate though is at least a statement posted prominently in the FAQ section of TWC's website portal that speaks to the IPv6 implementation.   All of the existing info available to both current and new customers represents that IPv6 is being fully implemented in a "dual stack", and that the SB6183 supports IPv6.

At the very least, a prominent and publicly accessible statement posted on the TWC website should be forthcoming from TWC, so people know that this situation exists, and so they are informed it's only a temporary one with a fix on the way shortly for those who are using SB6183's.   

Observer

Phil, can you confirm whether this is affeting TG862G modems as well?  I'm experienceing what seems to be the same thing -- no longer able to obtain IPv6 addresses, and not seeing any ICMPv6 router advertisements with rdisc6 on the router.

Expert

The "fix" is 3-6 months out as it's still in Arris's hands and they haven't released the firmware update yet.

If someone has gotten a warranty replaced 6183 or 6190, it would still have the old firmware

"Despite repeated requests by others to Ms. Raye asking for a source for such assertions, no source ever cited.  Callers to Arris say it's not happening, and PhilB has confirmed that Arris has new firmware for the 6183 (which was pushed to Comcast users months ago), that TWC is just now getting around to testing.  "

Per the comcast forums, there are still issues with the new firmware and a couple users there got the 6190's sent to them

Participant

Ms Raye wrote:

" Per the comcast forums, there are still issues with the new firmware and a couple users there got the 6190's sent to them"

First of all, what "comcast forums" are you talking about?  The Comcast forums at DSLReports.com?  The internet subforums at XFinity's Community Forums? 

I searched all of those forums, trying to find these message postings to which you refer, and found none.  Could not find a single message posted on any Comcast forum indicating that anyone who formerly owned an SB6183 (whether under warranty or not) received an SB6190 as a "replacement" directly from Arris. 

Do a search of the Comcast forums yourself.  If you do find such a report, I'd be very interested to see it. 

Second,  what "issues" have you seen users of SB6183's on Comcast reporting with the new version of the Arris firmware for that modem?   Again,  I did a pretty thorough search and was unable to find anything from any Comcast users.

No one is perfect and if I missed something, I'd really like to see what you're referring to.  So post a link to a source, please.   

Spectator

Can I asked why this is marked SOLVED if it isn't? Or has  a firmware fix been issued?

Seasoned Contributor

variable wrote:

Can I asked why this is marked SOLVED if it isn't? Or has  a firmware fix been issued?

Well it is solved but not quite by the post marked as the solution.  In another thread Phil noted that IPv6 as been administratively disabled on the SB6183 by TWC until the update has been pushed.  There's no real ETA for that that's been shared with us.

Spectator

Ah. So the only solution to restore ipv6 at this time would be to use a different modem?
Seasoned Contributor

variable wrote:
Ah. So the only solution to restore ipv6 at this time would be to use a different modem?

Yes as long as it's not a new 6141 with that problem.