Participant

Re: Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)

[ Edited ]

I also post on DSL Reports forums and from the comments there, It's pretty clear that SOMETHING has happened to IPv6 and the 6183 on TWC's end in the last two or three days.  I have had a working native IPv6 setup for several months now with a 6183, which by the way, is on TWC's list of approved modems for both MAXX and IPv6.  That modem is running the same FW as it has since I installed it...no FW push from TWC.  Also...TWC's automated diags show my modem as not connected and offline which it is not.  About three days ago, I did a router FW update on my Asus RT-AC5300, which had been pulling an IPv6 address fine.  After the FW update, no IPv6.  I thought that maybe the FW update had messed things up, so I rolled back to the previously working FW...still no IPv6.  I then plugged in a backup router that was also working fine with IPv6.  I had not changed that router's FW or config.  It's an Asus RT-AC3200.  Same result, no IPv6.  I have noticed that the 6183 now seems to boot twice on a reset which it never did before.

All multiple calls to tier 3 support got me was this:  we aren't running under IPv6 yet, so our implementation is not complete.  You'll have IPv6 when we fully go to it.  This is in direct contradiction to TWCPhilB who told us, here in this forum, that IPv6 is fully deployed across TWC's entire footprint.  If TWC is making engineering changes, or working on their IPv6 implementation, fine...that I understand.  What I don't understand and don't appreciate is the lack of transparency about what's going on.  What I also don't like is the attitude from TWC.  "Why do you need IPv6?" Is not relevant to the discussion, and that dismissive crap is unappreciated.  I, too, am an early adopter.  If TWC is not ready to deploy IPv6 yet, then don't say it is implemented.  If they are, then explanations of service outages are expected.  Don't give us this patronizing attitude that: "hey you're connected, you can use the Internet, what are you complaining about.

How about a straight, non-patronizing answer from TWC?

Community Manager

AnClar wrote:

All multiple calls to tier 3 support got me was this:  we aren't running under IPv6 yet, so our implementation is not complete.  You'll have IPv6 when we fully go to it.  This is in direct contradiction to TWCPhilB who told us, here in this forum, that IPv6 is fully deployed across TWC's entire footprint.  If TWC is making engineering changes, or working on their IPv6 implementation, fine...that I understand.  What I don't understand and don't appreciate is the lack of transparency about what's going on.  What I also don't like is the attitude from TWC.  "Why do you need IPv6?" Is not relevant to the discussion, and that dismissive crap is unappreciated.  I, too, am an early adopter.  If TWC is not ready to deploy IPv6 yet, then don't say it is implemented.  If they are, then explanations of service outages are expected.  Don't give us this patronizing  (edited) that: "hey you're connected, you can use the Internet, what are you complaining about.

How about a straight, non-patronizing answer from TWC?

IPv6 has been deployed accross our footprint. Any TWC employee telling you otherwise is in error. This does not mean that there could not be an issue that is affecting your ability to obtain an IPv6 address.

We completely understand why a customer may want to utilize IPv6, and I apologize if any of our employees made comments that came across as patronizing or otherwise dismissive.

I am going to pass this thread up the chain and see if we can get you some answers.

Thanks

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Participant

Thanks Phil!

Community Manager

Ok, got an answer-- this isssue is due to a bug that was discovered and confirmed by Arris to affect the currently deployed SB6183 firmware. Arris has released an update (D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.0.1-GA-01-NOSH) that resolves this issue. Our engineering team has the new firmware and it is going through testing now.  We expect the update to begin to be pushed out in approx. 3-4 weeks. 

Thanks

Spectrum-PhilB
Community Manager
Browser

[ Edited ]

TWC-PhilB wrote:

Ok, got an answer-- this isssue is due to a bug that was discovered and confirmed by Arris to affect the currently deployed SB6183 firmware. Arris has released an update (D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.0.1-GA-01-NOSH) that resolves this issue. Our engineering team has the new firmware and it is going through testing now.  We expect the update to begin to be pushed out in approx. 3-4 weeks. 

Thanks

Thank you for confirming what I read elsewhere on the internet in a Comcast forum. I really appreciate you taking the effort to validate the problems we've been seeing. It is/was very frustrating to keep hearing CSRs telling me that 'everything is okay' on their end, and not having the ability to challenge that because of their limited knowledge and/or availability of internal system information.

Since I started this thread I wanted to update it with the current status: I received my 6190 but I wanted to check my old modem again first. I had my old 6141 reactivated and everything came back as it should, IPv6 included.

I then tried my new SB6190, and after a while and a few reboots (after activation) it works fine as well. I suspect there may have been a firmware update waiting to be deployed. It is running FW "9.1.93K".

Expert

arris was warranty replacing 6183's with 6190's...

Browser

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

arris was warranty replacing 6183's with 6190's...

Do you have a source for that? How would I go about getting it exchanged?

I ask because I called them (1-877-466-8646) and the rep I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about.

Observer

Same exact issue.

I would like native IPv6 functionality with my shiny new SB6183, as I had with my former zoom modem it replaced. Who do I have to bribe to get the new firmware pushed to my modem?

Participant

Thank you for a definitive answer Phil!

I have this problem too and if you need any volunteers for testing the new firmware, I gladly volunteer.