Highlighted
Browser

Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)

Two days ago I changed out my (owned) SB6141 for an SB6183 to take advantage of the increased number of channels and available speed.  However, I seem to have lost my native IPv6 address and delegation.

I called TWC several times, and chatted too. Everyone claims IPv6 is properly provisioned in my new modem. I have an OpenWRT router (TPLink Archer C7) connected to my SB6183. 

If I connect a laptop directly to my modem, Windows 7 will automatically configure a 6TO4 tunnel. I can get that same 6TO4 tunnel if I change my OpenWRT to use a 6TO4, but obviously I don't want that. I didn't need to do that. It used to work with using dhcpv6, and receiving a delegation.

Support has been no help. I factory reset my router to see if I could start from scratch, but my wan6 interface will not come up. My wan interface (eth0) only has an fe80 ipv6 address.

Is there anything specific I need to ask TWC to check? I also read on here that someone suggested this may be lease time related, and it should be okay when the (default) 7 day window expires. Does that have any merit? It's been frustrating dealing with tier 1 support. Twice I've asked to be transfered to tier 2 or 3, and twice I have been hung up on after being on hold for anywhere between 30 - 60 seconds.

66 REPLIES
Participant

Re: Lost IPv6 after modem swap (SB6183)

Same thing happened to me when I went from a TWC-owned Technicolor to a SB6183. TWC support said everything was fine, but IPv6 still didn't work. I went to the cable store and got the Technicolor back, problem solved. The SB6183 is sitting by the door with a UPS label on it. This modem just doesn't work right with TWC. In addition to no IPv6, it was occasionally dropping back to one outbound channel.

Spectrum Employee

My question is this, why the need for IPv6 at this time anyway? Most people have nothing but problems using IPv6 yet.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Participant

I like to play with new tech, and my work is going to be implementing IPv6 on public-facing websites. I'd like to learn it. I am also developer of Confidant Mail, a secure alternative to SMTP email, and want to make it IPv6 compatible. Right now my mobile phone has IPv6 support on LTE, and I've been able to ssh from PuTTY on the phone to a Raspbery Pi behind my broadband router at home.

Aside from being an early adopter toy, most of the Google sites, including Youtube and Gmail, have IPv6 provisioned.

Most of the problems I've run into are due to poorly debugged software. My E2500 router is currently not consistently sending out internal Router Advertisements (reboot and it works again) and I am going to replace that with either DD-WRT or a mini Linux box.

At work we had AT&T Uverse service, and they provided IPv6, but using it caused their local router to reboot. We had no luck getting that or other more critical problems (2048-connection NAT limit) fixed so we threw it out and got TWC Business. Which does not provide IPv6 at all.

Therefore I think the most important reason to play with it, and to complain to providers when it acts up, is to get all these bugs resolved so it's no longer mostly problems for the average person.

Browser

mike805 wrote:

Same thing happened to me when I went from a TWC-owned Technicolor to a SB6183. TWC support said everything was fine, but IPv6 still didn't work. I went to the cable store and got the Technicolor back, problem solved. The SB6183 is sitting by the door with a UPS label on it. This modem just doesn't work right with TWC. In addition to no IPv6, it was occasionally dropping back to one outbound channel.

I saw your post. My old modem is sitting here next to my desk. In addition to liking my new 300mbps download speed, I also find it unacceptable to have to go 'back' because TWC can't get their ducks in a row.

I will wait out the 7 day lease period I read about, even though technically that shouldn't apply because my new modem has a new mac address and shouldn't have to conflict with my 'old' mac address. I know how dhcp is (supposed) to work. Perhaps TWC redneck engineered some of their IPv6 implementation.

I have yet to find anyone who can give me more than a tier-1 level answer to any of my questions. That alone is very frustrating. I've been in IT, networking and security for over 15 years. You'd think there should be a way to ask TWC an intelligent question, and get an appropriate anwer back.

Browser

DSchroeder wrote:

My question is this, why the need for IPv6 at this time anyway? Most people have nothing but problems using IPv6 yet.

Need it? Nope. I want it. I'm not your average user. I have been tunneling IPv6 for years already. When I (accidentally) found out TWC was able to provision dual stack natively I jumped on it. It's part curiosity, self-learning, and part carreer motivated. I had it. TWC broke it. I want it back. Considering what I'm paying per month for my internet connection, I partially feel I'm entitled to it get it back as well. It's really that simple. 

Browser

[ Edited ]

After a little more research targetted to my modem model, I came across this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29569626-IPv6-SB6183-IPv6-problems~start=120

From an Arris employee:

We are working on a new code release, once I get the pre-release I will get with "Netcool" about doing some soaks.. Just keep in mind these don't come out over night, but I am keeping an eye on the release..

and

Ok, we loaded the latest code we have for the SB6183 on n0xlf he couldn't recreate the issue.. I would hate to say it is fixed in the latest code but I would say it sounds like it doesn't show up.. It was an engineering build so not even a pre-lease, more like a beta before the beta release..

This is a comcast specific forum, but the issue is related to modem firmware, not provider infrastructure.

My modem has the same firmware that was causing the problems for everyone in that forum: 

SB6183-9.2.0.0-GA-03-29-NOSH

The updated firmware version they are referring to is D30CM-OSPREY-1.5.0.1-GA-01-NOSH 

Any idea if there is an update or when it might come?

Browser

I ordered an SB6190 to try. Should be here tomorrow. Let's see if that one will work. 

Spectrum Employee

Our forum admins here also answer questions on the dslreports.com website so its not just comcast specific. As far as firmware updates, even in Tier 3 I'm not privy to knowing when they happen until maybe 2-3 days before roll-out so we are aware when customers call in asking why their internet is down at 2am. The 6190 is a nice model and I haven't seen any known issues with IPv6 and its current firmware so that is probably going to be your best/fastest resolution instead of waiting on a firmware update push.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Browser

[ Edited ]

DSchroeder wrote:

Our forum admins here also answer questions on the dslreports.com website so its not just comcast specific. As far as firmware updates, even in Tier 3 I'm not privy to knowing when they happen until maybe 2-3 days before roll-out so we are aware when customers call in asking why their internet is down at 2am. The 6190 is a nice model and I haven't seen any known issues with IPv6 and its current firmware so that is probably going to be your best/fastest resolution instead of waiting on a firmware update push.

Thanks. I hope it will work, but I'm not thrilled about spending another $150 to replace a modem that should work to begin with. I'll update this post today when the modem comes in. The only thing that bothers me is another thread in this subforum where someone who also had a 6183 with working IPv6 lost his IPv6 after he returned the old leased modem he still had in his posession. That, to me, clearly indicates a change in the TWC system that caused him to lose his IPv6.

Here is the link to that thread: http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/IPv6/SoCal-91360-IPv6-went-away-after-working-on-same-modem-Arr...

ETA: Can you look into my account settings and see why I am seeing two cable modems listed in the "Equipment" tab of the myservices.timewarnercable.com/account portal? Could that be related?